Talk

Advanced search

Big boys!

(9 Posts)
LadyCarCar Tue 19-Jul-11 19:10:46

So my son is 16w tomorrow. I had him weighed last week and he tiped the scales at 7.5kg (16lb 8oz) but only 3 months ago he was a kilogram lighter! I havent changed his feeds, or the amount or the duration - he takes 5 or 6oz of formula between 5 and 6 times a day - depending on when he wakes up and goes to bed.

People comment. Oh look how big he is. My interfering Aunt likes to remind me that my 3 month old is the size of a 6 month old.

My interfering aunt also says that the kid down her street who is a week older than my boy is the size of a 1 year old.

Looking at media, i.e Miranda 'im so skinny' Kerr, and her son who was born a big baby - my question is, and also as there are no health issues surrounding my son, does it seem quite normal nowadays that boys are a lot bigger??

ShowOfHands Tue 19-Jul-11 19:15:27

Don't know if it has anything to do with gender.

DD was born on the 50th centile and by 12 weeks was off the charts. When she started solids at 6 months she was around 25lbs. The thing is she's tall and always was. Her length/height and weight have always been on the same centile. She's 4yo now and on the 91st centile for height and weight. She is v slim, tall and extremely muscular (puts her old Mum to shame).

I bfed exclusively and to demand so she took exactly what she needed and was nothing but healthy. There's nothing wrong with being 'big' if it's in proportion. It's just when they're babies they don't move much and end up with lots of lovely, chubby rolls. I quite miss them tbh.

bigkidsmademe Tue 19-Jul-11 19:30:35

At five months DS was 20lb- haven't had him weighed since (now 6.5 months) but he is wonderfully chubby. On the bus the other day he was in the sling, with his legs poking out, and two old ladies got up to admire him. One started yelling at her friend at the back of the bus 'look how fat his legs are!' grin

He was breastfed till nearly six months, now has an awful lot of food and formula. I'm not overfeeding, it's just how he us and it's lovely smile

Don't listen to anyone!

MogTheForgetfulCat Tue 19-Jul-11 19:57:16

DS3 is 5 months tomorrow - he was 10lb4oz when born 2 weeks overdue (98th centile) and last time I had him weighed (at 17 weeks, I think) he was 7.88kg, and is now between 75th and 91st centile - it seems that he's settled there, as the previous time he was weighed (4 weeks earlier) he was also at that point on the centiles.

He is exclusively BF, not yet weaned. No health issues - was screened for diabetes for 48 hours after birth (standard for 10lb plus babies in my area) but negative. He's just a big baby. Was also long. He's still in 3-6 month clothes, but probably not for long. He has the chunkiest thighs and legs, elastic band wrists, and such chubby cheeks that they're shiny grin.

I've known lots of larger babies, both boys and girls. DS3 is unusual for me as DS1 and DS2 were both a lot smaller, both around 50th centile. So don't know if it's 'normal' for boys to be a lot bigger - but it's clearly normal for your DS, and I would try to ignore inane comments smile.

LadyCarCar Tue 19-Jul-11 19:58:36

Aww, thank you bigkidsmademe x

I know he isnt overfed, but when every other person comments ... i guess its the same as being pregnant with a big bump and everyone telling you how hard its going to be bla bla - everyone has an opinion.

Just wish theyd all go away with their negativity!!

Firawla Wed 20-Jul-11 09:43:57

You get babies of all different sizes, i would say from what i have seen it may be more common for boys to be slightly bigger but then when you see adults men are generally taller so that seems logical to me? both my boys were big as babies, both are still pretty tall as toddlers although the older one has slowed down a bit now, they are both healthy though. just because a baby is on the bigger side it does not have to be a problem, if your aunt or whoever else is trying to hint that he is overweight then have a look at his length/height because you may well find he is also longer than average, so in proportion but just overall bigger, which is not really anything to worry about.

Tigresswoods Wed 20-Jul-11 13:06:11

Totally normal, you can't over feed them, they are just the way they are.

My DS was 18lbs at 18 weeks (something I will always remember) and was on the 91st percentile from about 4 weeks... having been born on the 50th percentile.

Its just the way he is. He is 16 months now and we got him weighed for the first time in months this week and he is still 91st percentile.

Don't worry he is perfectly normal.

...and gorgeous too I bet.

Lainey1981 Wed 20-Jul-11 15:11:45

lady i get the exact same thing and is very tiring.
Ds is 33 weeks so 8 months next week amd is 20.5lbs and sitting around 75 th centile, so bigger than average, but certainly not unusually so with the exception of his off the scale head (it was on98th centile when born even though he was only 7lb11oz at 41 weeks) everytime someone new meets him or hasn't seen him for a while i get " omg he is MASSIVE" he is huuuuuuge
<sigh> i feel like they are inferring i am overfeeding him .he has about 20oz of formula a day and is now on 3 meals.
He has wonderfully chubby thighs and cheeks as i'm sure your ds does.
I am always grateful that he has a bit spare as when he is ill he has some reserves.

DialsMavis Wed 20-Jul-11 22:12:03

My DD (8.5 months) was 10lb at birth and is now 98th centile for length and just above the 75th for weight-people we meet in the street keep saying she is tiny though! hmm
Maybe people see it as more acceptable to talk about the size of boys or something? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now