Talk

Advanced search

Potty Training

(8 Posts)
Igglepigglesmummy Tue 19-Jul-11 17:45:49

Hi - I have a 16 month old son and dont quite know when I should begin Potty training! Can Anyone give me advice please x

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Tue 19-Jul-11 17:52:15

Hi.. my DS is now 2.6 and he's just going to start after we come back our holidays in September, so he'll be near 3. You're looking at around 2-nearly 3ish i think.

ffried Tue 19-Jul-11 21:52:35

wait as long as possible my daughter is 2.5 we've been doing it for a good few weeks, i hate it! its getting slightly better but not wonderful, its more hard work for you

naturalbaby Tue 19-Jul-11 22:18:56

i bought a potty when my first was 19months so he got used to seeing it and sitting on it, and started with lots of nappy off time. he was never bothered about wet/dirty nappies so i tried to get him used to feeling clean and dry more and changed him more often - we use cotton nappies so i could used thinner nappies. i talked about it loads at every nappy change and when i went if he was around so he had lots of time to think about it. i also had a book for him to read.
i did early, part time potty training. he could hold wee and stop a wee so he could get on the potty at 26months but wasn't dry all day till a few months later. we had laminate floors though!

LoonyRationalist Tue 19-Jul-11 22:24:45

Depends on the child alot, there is a huge window. DD1 was keen on the idea - trained and reliable at 21 months. DD2 much less keen, trained & reliable at 2yrs 5 months (it's just this week that I have decided she is reliably trained actually smile )
Both are fairly early but were showing many signs of being ready. There is some great advice on mumsnet here

sugarbea Tue 19-Jul-11 22:26:15

It's probably to early to start but I don't think having a potty around the house hurts. My dd is 19 mo and uses her potty for wees. This only came about as shes had a few opperations concerning bowels and gets bad nappy rash so prefers no nappy on at home. I just ran around after her to catch the wee grin and soon she worked it out herself. Ds was about 2.6 and Wasn't at all interested in the potty or infact sitting down anywhere grin I wouldn't make it an issue just yet. smile

pranma Wed 20-Jul-11 20:25:21

My dgs is 2.5 now and is now potty trained and is also dry at night-his big brother was 4 before he had a dry night.I doubt if you'll have a lot of success before 2 but its a good idea to read stories like I Want My Potty and to have a potty around the house.

Ambergambler Fri 22-Jul-11 12:52:17

DS1 was 2 and a half. I was working f/t and a single parent, so decided that the childminder going on holiday was a good time to do it as we had plenty of time together to do it. It worked really well, and by luck rather than judgement he went dry at night at the same time, and we never looked back.
DS2 is a totally different ball game! He started taking his nappy of and using any available recepticle to wee in, or the floor if he couldn't see anything he liked the look of, at 14/15 months. He has taken full control of the situation, I don't expect anything from him as he is only 17 months now, but we do make a fuss of him and encourage him when he decides to use his potty. He has the fisher price one that looks like a toilet, and he loves it!
he has time with no nappy, and usually remembers to go to the potty and wee. He has very good bladder control. Sometimes he just decides he needs a wee and removes the nappy. He will not sit on the potty though, he likes to stand up, with a grandstand view of what he is doing blush. He will sit on it at other times, occasionally just to 'read' his book!!! Like father like son I suppose hmm
Sorry, bit rambly, and not very helpful. But I guess they are all different, and you will see signs that they are ready. I wouldn't have instigated anything before DS turned 2, at the earliest, without his input in to the situation (or should that be output...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now