Talk

Advanced search

Help! DD will not keep her hat on!

(9 Posts)
MoragG Tue 19-Jul-11 16:44:10

DD (18 months) absoultely hates wearing hats. Today I must have put her sun hat back on about 100 times - she just pulls it off as soon as I put it on. We are just about to go to Itay and she will need to wear a hat, as it is going to be hot! We have one with a tie, but she gets really upset if we put this one on and just yanks at it until she gets it off. So we are persevering with a non-tie hat but it doesn't seem to be working :-( Any good suggestions?

downpipe Tue 19-Jul-11 18:36:18

My DS is exactly the same.I gave up with hats and instead spray his head with at least factor 30.Fortunately he doesn't mind and actually likes me putting cream on his face as well..let her help you and make it into a game.I think there are UV suits with built in hood/hat things that you can't pull down if that doesn't work

Tigresswoods Tue 19-Jul-11 19:10:53

Distraction distraction distraction. Works about 60% of the time for us.

Hat on look there's a dog! grin

MoragG Tue 19-Jul-11 19:56:27

Thanks both. I do try distraction and it does work some of the time. But then after 5 minutes she remembers and off it comes again!

youbethemummylion Tue 19-Jul-11 20:35:38

at about this age we used the no hat no outside strategy, even if its not sunny you can do it so it is cracked by the time you go away. Basically you put her hat on as soon as you are outside and as soon as she takes it off you take her back inside repeat again and again until she clicks that to be outisde she has to have the hat on. Obviously works best if your child likes being outside if when you put her back inside she is not bothered about missing outside time it probably wont be much use. We just made sure everyone else was outside doing something fun so keeping your hat seemed like a fair price to pay for playing outside.

lollystix Tue 19-Jul-11 22:08:47

I'd just save yourself the bother and go for the factor 50 on the head directly. All 3 of mine were the same at that age. Eldest now almost 5 won't be separated from his spiderman hat. Don't sweat the small stuff - my advice is just lower your standards (ok my kids do look a total state by the end of the day but I've found they're fully washable at about 30degrees)

BigTallGiraffe Tue 19-Jul-11 23:59:17

I agree with youbethemummylion My DS is 16 months, and he used to terrible at keeping them on! But i persevered with "No hat, no outside" and he's getting so much better!

monkoray Thu 21-Jul-11 08:34:31

Is she very fair? Does she really need a hat? My ds just won't keep one on so we don't bother. He gets factor 50 all over and I make sure he stays hydrated so he doesn't get heat stroke, and he's been fine all summer (unlike me - so busy checking ds was ok I forgot to drink and gave myself heatstroke!)

MoragG Thu 21-Jul-11 11:34:18

Thanks for all of these good suggestions. She is not very fair, but I don't like the thought of slathering her head in factor 50 - she has quite a lot of hair, so it would be such a mess. I think the 'no hat no outside' sounds like our best bet, as she loves going outside :-) DH also thinks this is an excellent idea - we just have to implement it :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now