Talk

Advanced search

8 week old buries face in blankets

(6 Posts)
jessi0343 Tue 19-Jul-11 14:52:09

My 8 week old will only sleep if her face is nuzzled up completely to the side of the moses basket, or next to a blanket. We try to keep her in the centre of her basket or travel cot, but she will squirm her way around until she can find the side or a bumper or blanket to turn her head and bury her face into. Only then is she satisfied and will sleep. And of course I can't sleep for fear she will suffocate! Anyone else encounter this? any advice?

Mavend Tue 19-Jul-11 14:54:23

Maybe it is a comfort thing and she feel like she is still in the womb?Mine got themselves into all sorts of weird positions!Don't worrysmile

RitaMorgan Tue 19-Jul-11 15:00:32

Mine did this too - I wonder if it reminded him of breastfeeding where my clothes were against his face? He liked to rub a muslin cloth on his face, and he'd only have that or cellular blankets in his cot - he was a bit older though, maybe 3/4 months. You can also get cot bumpers that are made of a mesh fabric called airflow I think.

I used to let him fall asleep with a cloth on his face and then creep in and remove it once he was asleep.

Graciescotland Tue 19-Jul-11 15:13:01

My DS did that too, I think it was bfing also as he got older he used to lick the buggy or carseat when we were out and about and he wanted a nap. Grew out of it though.

boognish Tue 19-Jul-11 18:50:02

Mine still doing it at nearly 5 months. Convinced it is a breastfeeding substitute comfort thing. Thankfully my ds is just as happy to have freddie the firefly over his face instead of a blanket, so we don't worry too much about him suffocating.

jessi0343 Tue 19-Jul-11 19:36:36

Thanks everyone for your responses! I feel much more at ease

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now