Talk

Advanced search

Not coping well with 2.5yr old

(7 Posts)
girlafraid Tue 19-Jul-11 11:58:48

My DS has always been very lively and goes through phases of being more difficult - like most kids

The last couple of weeks have seen us reach new levels with hitting, kicking and generally lashing out all the time. Yesterday he hit me over the back of the head with a wooden toy which hurt a lot and really upset me.

We take a hardline approach to violent behaviour and use the naughty step which works to a degree (ie he is contrite and apologises) but it isn't slowing down this behaviour and. He will not do anything i say at the moment and his immediate response is to lash out at me. I realised yesterday I was flinching as I went near him and this made me really sad

At the moment I feel like all I do is tell him off, he doesn't like me much at the moment and won't cuddle or kiss me at all. My DH takes the same line but DS is much more forgiving of him

2 issues worth noting:
He has a baby sister 6 months old
He is currently giving up day time naps and is awful when he's tired, he's gone from napping for 2.5 - 3hrs in the afternoon to being very difficult to persuade to nap at all

Is this a phase? Will it pass? Any tips? This morning he stamped on 2 snails and though I'm not the world's greatest fan of snails I wondered if this is normal 2 yr old behaviour????

Octaviapink Tue 19-Jul-11 12:05:11

Sounds pretty normal to me - it seems that he's getting tired and lashing out which is understandable given that he's giving up his nap. How about a 'quiet time' at the point when he would normally have had a nap? Just some time with books or a low-intensity game so that he has some downtime albeit not sleep.

Ineedmetime Tue 19-Jul-11 12:22:24

Yes I agree, all quite normal for two yr old,I have a dd 2yrs 8months and she is still hitting her older brother quite a lot (we use naughty step too)
She has given up daytime naps unless she gets tired from not enough sleep at night.
Hopefully it is a toddler phase and they will grow out of it.

Liv77 Tue 19-Jul-11 12:41:20

There is a good support thread for 3 year olds which is full of this type of thing, i'll bump it for you smile

Ineedmetime Tue 19-Jul-11 13:02:37

What does bump it mean?, sorry I'm quite new at this internet thing

Liv77 Tue 19-Jul-11 13:13:59

it hasn't been posted on for a bit so i've added a new post to put it back near the top of active threads, i'll put in a link to it for you smile
link here

Ineedmetime Tue 19-Jul-11 13:33:22

Thanks Liv77 that might be some help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now