Talk

Advanced search

frantic crying while doing a poo!?

(4 Posts)
ScarIettOHara Mon 18-Jul-11 23:02:45

My one week old son has been crying A LOT recently while he is doing a poo - even though the stools look completely normal and soft. Is this normal because he just isn't used to the sensation and if so how long will it go on for? I can't bear to listen to the crying he sounds as if he's in a lot of pain!

Tenalady Mon 18-Jul-11 23:20:50

It could be the sensation he doesnt like. I had a similar experience with my newborn. The Midwife said he was a bit constipated although it didnt look hard when he did poo.

I can only share what she did. . . . She placed a clean nappy underneath his bottom (ready to catch the poo) he was laid on the floor on his back, she crossed his ankles and pushed his legs towards his head (not touching his head) and held it in position for what seemed like an age but miraculously he pooed.

Its not uncommon for boys to have problems with their pooing and this is at any age.

When your Midwife calls or Health visitor just double check with them about his crying relating to his poo.

Good luck x

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 19-Jul-11 16:04:10

you could try googleing elimination communication and looking up a newborn hold. He might be more comfortable being held like this (it's like a squatting position) to poo. Plus it's loads easier to clean up. smile

ScarIettOHara Tue 19-Jul-11 18:27:49

Thank you both for the advice... I've been trying various massages but I'll look into these holds as well. My midwife is coming over tomorrow. It's horrible hearing him cry over this he appears to be in so much pain - but maybe it just feels strange and he'll get used to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now