Talk

Advanced search

DD 18 months STILL not walking

(9 Posts)
Roomfor1more Mon 18-Jul-11 18:21:16

I'm really starting to fret! My dd is just 18 months and has no intention of walking/cruising even standing!! She's a bum shuffler and zips about on her butt. Yes I know she's moving about but if I hear one more comment from other Mums like 'Ooh she's not walking yet??' or 'My Petunia is walking since she was 12 months' On all other developmental fronts she's spot on except the walking. My other dc was a late walker too and I do realise its hereditary but I wish she get a move on soon, it kills me when I see babies born well after her running about. Yes she's healthy and happy. Is there anyone else in the same situation as me???

FannyFerknackerPants Mon 18-Jul-11 18:35:47

my Mum tells me that I was exactly the same! I think it goes with the shuffling. I didn't walk properly on my own until I was two - but everything was OK in the end, of course.

christmasmum Mon 18-Jul-11 18:46:33

My DS literally just started walking and he's going to be 18 months next week. I know your pain. I feel like putting an ad in the local paper to say to everyone that yes, he is finally walking. (Read - staggering and lurching from one sofa to the next, but let's not split hairs...)

It will happen. My friend's two sons walked at 22 and 24 months respectively. They do get there in the end!

wompoopigeon Mon 18-Jul-11 19:05:52

My DD was also a bum shuffler and didn't walk till 18 months. Why bother when you can scoot faster on your arse?

hazeyjane Mon 18-Jul-11 19:11:51

Dd2 was a bumshuffler, she saw a physio, when she was about 20 months, as we noticed that if we stood her up to bear weight 9which she didn't like to do), then her feet rolled out, so that it looked as though she was stood on her ankle bone. They said she had hypermobile ankle ligaments, and that she would benefit from wearing a really solid pair of shoes. She started walking not long after wearing them, and has no problems since.

I would say, if she looks uncomfortable with bearing weight, or she can't bear weight, then it would be a good idea to talk to your gp or hv and ask for a physio referral.

Most children do get there in the end, but some need a little help.

pregnantpause Mon 18-Jul-11 19:12:19

My dd now three, neither walked crawled nor shuffled. We were very worried- as was anybody and everybody else, including random strangers in shops stopping to admire the baby. Nowt wrong with her - just lazy. At 20 months she walked. Now I struggle to get her to sit down

MoragG Mon 18-Jul-11 19:51:21

DD (also nearly 18 months) is a bum shuffler too - she can pull up and cruise but will only walk when I hold both of her hands. I too can feel your pain! Most other babies we know walked around the age of 1 :-( Fortunately very few people have commented on it but I just want her to walk on her own! I know she will do it in her own time and there is clearly nothing wrong with her, but it's a bit frustrating.

scarlotti Mon 18-Jul-11 21:34:10

Ds started walking about a month ago - he is now 20 months! He sat at 5 months then started bum shuffling at about 6 months or so. It is very normal apparently for bum shufflers!
If you think about it, they have no real reason to get up and walk as they can move about and hold things in their hands at the same time - unlike crawling which eventually forces you up if you want to move quicker and hold something at the same time.
DS even got to the point where his shuffling was refined to the point that he almost flew across the floor at breakneck speed!
I also got to the point where it seemed mean to not let him out and roam around, so he wore out the bottoms in a fair few pairs of trousers/shorts - but at least gets to enjoy the outside in the sunshine.

BlueArmyGirl Tue 19-Jul-11 17:56:35

Bottom shufflers are often 'late' (after 18 months) walkers. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now