Talk

Advanced search

Reward Charts for older children?

(6 Posts)
TCOB Sat 16-Jul-11 22:45:45

DS (nearly 8) is lovely in most ways but is a little 'challenging' at the moment. He always responded well to reward charts and has actually requested one to help him. Any recommendations RE good ones for older kids? All the ones I've seen on Amazon are a little too young for him.

Thanks smile.

HoneyNorwegianRidgebackdragon Sun 17-Jul-11 00:54:47

Ds has a normal wall calander, any stickers or merits from school get put or noted on there, on the relevant day. We also gave him stickers for good behaviour at home but only when he had been really good without being told.

Each sticker was worth 20p and added to his money box at the end of the week with a bonus pound if he achieved a sticker for every day.

This was our alternative to pocket money. It worked as he could keep track of what he saved.

And more importantly, bad behaviour was fined so 20p would come out his jar too. Although rarely has to follow it through the threat was enough.

roisin Sun 17-Jul-11 02:58:10

read this, then don't do it

HoneyNorwegianRidgebackdragon Sun 17-Jul-11 07:51:55

Rosin has a good point, we don't use ours now to get him too behave, only to acknowledge when he's been really good and we tell him we are proud. However we started ours as a alternative to pocket money and still use it as such, I don't hold with bribery either, but I still like to provide some reward, as Ds always tries his best.

angelPeacock Sun 17-Jul-11 22:17:17

When i attended the tripple P, they said to start off with house rules that lead to a family night where the child/ren get to pick the activity/film/takeaway....

set no more than 4/5 rules and NEVER take away rewards given for other things.

the behaviour chart is for chores or things the child should do, NOT good behaviour.

such as....
house rules are - no swearing - no running indoors - no violence - going to bed at 8pm etc
reward chart is - taking out the bins by 6pm- washing up by 7pm - bringing down dirty washing by 5pm - etc

always give specific time deadlines and remind them 10 mins or so before the times up

reward with 10/20p per chore but if all are done then give extra so if only 3 are done out of 4 they only get 30/60p but if all 4 are done then they actually get the full 50p/£1

keep the house rules and reward chart seperate completely

hope this helps give an idea of that programme way of thinking and gives you an idea of how to create your own xxx

HoneyNorwegianRidgebackdragon Sun 17-Jul-11 22:19:57

that sounds like my house, we don't really use it anymore as ds knows what is expected from him at home and at school smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now