Talk

Advanced search

Hair cut for 2.5 year old

(8 Posts)
Lee19010 Sat 16-Jul-11 18:43:08

Hello all, this Is a first time post from a 2.5 year olds dad. I have tried on numerous occasions to get his hair cut with no success. A few times at the barbers and a couple of times my mother in law who is a retired hair dresser has tried. All he does is screams wriggles and throws his hands around. Has anyone had similar and any ideas.
Thankyou.

earshot Sat 16-Jul-11 19:00:52

Will he watch a DVD? We stick DS (2) in front of the laptop and a couple of episodes of peppa pig later and he has a lovely new haircut (might be one to try with the MIL at home?)

Lady1nTheRadiator Sat 16-Jul-11 19:05:45

DVD, chocolate buttons? Let him 'cut' a teddy's hair? Have him watch your or his mum have yours done - even if just pretending? Can he tell you what he doesn't like about it?

monkoray Sat 16-Jul-11 19:14:35

This is probably not very helpful but does he have to have his hair cut? Lots of little boys look very sweet with longer hair and it would avoid the issue altogether until he's older.

Lee19010 Sat 16-Jul-11 21:52:48

Thanks for the responses, going to try DVDs and treat at the same time as hair cut. I hope that works, long hair does not suit him.

Octaviapink Sun 17-Jul-11 14:09:18

I'd get a pair of hairdressing scissors and have a go yourself. You can have a snip here or there while he's in the bath or whatever and as long as you don't go mad, take a couple of goes in case you missed any bits. My dd is 2.3 and I've always cut her hair - I'm getting pretty nifty at it!

sophe29 Sun 17-Jul-11 14:36:16

I have a 2.5 year old too who HATEs his hair and his nails being cut. I got more success using clippers than scissors surprisingly. I just used a comb to lightly lift the hair and trim the ends. What my DS seems to hate is me combing and lifting his hair between my fingers and then snipping this.
Giving him my iphone and/or telly helps too.

naturalbaby Sun 17-Jul-11 15:04:25

it took my boy a while to get used to it, the first bits that needed cutting were round his ears and that's the worst cause the scissors are snipping right by his ears so he pulls away. a dvd helped loads and i was really over the top with positive praise and talk to make him interested in what i was doing, then about how smart he looked when i cut anything. my dh uses clippers so in the end we used those and he was happy to have a haircut just like daddy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now