Talk

Advanced search

Biting 23 month old

(2 Posts)
GruffaloReader Fri 15-Jul-11 13:35:06

Hi there

My DS is nearly 23 months - and he quite often gets frustrated as his speech is not developing brilliantly. He rarely says a word - and IF he does, it's something like "Up" - he normally just makes sounds. So - I'm sure this annoys him when he can't get his own way.

Sometimes he'll bite out of frustration - but mostly it's if he's trying to move his older sister out of the way and she won't move - rather than arguing about it, he'll go straight in for the bite. She's so good and never retaliates or anything, but it does hurt.

He was just playing with me last night - and out of mostly excitement I think, he just bit me on the thigh. I now KNOW how much this hurts as I have a big pea size blood blister there.

HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS? Given that he's not talking, it's so hard to reason with him. I yelped out straightaway, and said "NO" lots of times - and then felt a bit bad cos I really made him cry - mostly out of shock of me yelping and shouting I think - but I think that's the only way to make him stop - is to make a quick reaction to the act he's just committed, so he knows that's why i'm shouting at him.

Any tips??

(PS - i'm getting in touch with the health visitor about speech therapy)...

Thanks mums... x

FannyAnnPam Fri 15-Jul-11 17:20:17

Just because he isn't speaking doesn't mean he can't understand. No harm done with your reaction, it might be the shock he needs not to do it again.

Good luck with the biting and the speech therapy. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now