Talk

Advanced search

At what age is it normal to be able to manage steps?

(17 Posts)
WhollyGhost Thu 14-Jul-11 18:05:14

And I don't mean stairs, just individual steps. My 2.5 yr old can't go down any steps by herself yet, and I am begining to wonder if I should seek advice....

All the other toddlers I know seem well able.

Disasterpiece Thu 14-Jul-11 18:48:49

Do you mean like garden steps or steps to the front door of a house kind of thing?

my 19mo can go down them on his own, I think if they are any bigger than say 8/9" then he will hold on to a wall or something to steady himself.

Do you always help her? Does she get the chance to do it herself?

Maybe you could do some practising with her.

WhollyGhost Thu 14-Jul-11 19:09:18

Any steps at all, in the garden or up to a house.

She will only do it crawling, or if I help her. I have been trying to practise with her as much as we can, but it is begining to dawn on me that she is actually quite late with it. She only recently learned to run. Before she got the hang of that I was thinking of asking for a referral.

WhollyGhost Thu 14-Jul-11 19:09:57

btw, she can't manage any step, even ones that are only a couple of inches without support

ilovesprouts Thu 14-Jul-11 19:11:35

my son walk at 2.6m hes god ld & gdd if your worried see the hv/gp

DD did steps (including stairs) at around 24 months, holding onto the wall (or a child-height banister if available).

I still either walk in front of her or hold her hand when she comes up and down the stairs in our house as they are steep and hard, and a fall could have nasty consequences... I never carry her up and down though, haven't for many months, to save my back!

Tgger Thu 14-Jul-11 22:26:09

If you have concerns, get her checked out, but some are later than others with this. DD 2 and 8 months is a lot more cautious than most of her peers, but does steps and stairs holding onto banisters/wall for support.

I do remember DS when he was almost three still asking me to help him down stairs in a hotel- he was slower than DD even, but he didn't have opportunity to practise like she did as we lived in a house with really steep stairs and I would carry him down for yonks (probably a mistake).

WhollyGhost Fri 15-Jul-11 13:53:33

Thanks all - I was kind of hoping to be told it was entirely normal. I will seek reassurance from my HV.

Tgger, I think there is every chance it reflects my dd's lack of confidence, but even if that is what it is, I still want to help her any way I can.

MovingAndScared Fri 15-Jul-11 14:00:01

Its sounds like a confidence thing mainly -could be balance maybe? what about things like climbing frames/soft play how do she do on them -

WhollyGhost Fri 15-Jul-11 14:59:00

she is fairly confident at climbing ladder type things, and manages well at soft play

It is just steps that seem to throw her

Disasterpiece Fri 15-Jul-11 15:06:39

In that case just practice practise practise.

She sounds perfectly able physically so maybe it is just a confidence thing.

Has she ever fallen up/down or hurt herself on steps?

TheSkiingGardener Sat 16-Jul-11 09:02:42

It really, really sounds like a confidence thing. Has she ever fallen down a step? It might just be a case of taking it really slowly with her and gradually building it up. So starting with an inch high step in her room with something for her to hold on to and going from there.

DS is 13 months and does 3 inch high steps on his own, but I know if he had a bad fall he would be back to wanting support for a while.

WhollyGhost Sat 16-Jul-11 11:15:59

She has never fallen down a step so far as I know - but it might have happened with Granny I suppose...

Thanks, I'll just keep working on her.

shoots Sun 17-Jul-11 21:06:18

My dd has balance and mobility difficulties and has only recently mastered doing stairs up and down without a handrail at age 4. Stairs and steps are linked to balance and ability to stand on one leg even if only for an instant.

My dd also has problems running but she is much older than your dd and again is linked to balance difficulty. Sounds more like confidence with your dd than anything physical.

WhollyGhost Mon 18-Jul-11 08:19:59

Thanks Shoots - I'll keep an eye on it all the same

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 18-Jul-11 08:29:12

I would think that if she can climb ladders, then she's got the requisite motor skills (not that I'm a physical therapist or anything) so it might just be confidence.

Mine is 2 and 7 months and she'll only go down stairs holding my hand or on her bottom, but will go up stairs on her own if she feels she can manage it. She and I had a really serious fall when she was a few months old, and while she doesn't remember it I bloody do, so I'm probably a bit paranoid about going downstairs.

bananamam Mon 18-Jul-11 08:33:05

DD was 18 months when she would walk up and down our house stairs....I tried to teach her to crawl but she wanted to keep up with her brother. Now at just 2 she flies up and down them and I keep my heart in my throat every single time

I agree it may just be a confidence issue. Asking the hv would not hurt at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now