Talk

Advanced search

tantrums in nearly 6 yr old boy

(5 Posts)
bellamom Thu 14-Jul-11 10:23:52

Help help help!!!

DS six in autumn, but terrible tantrums still persist...

often he argues with what we are asking or answers back or just starts shouting, crying, throwing himself on floor.

we try counting 1-2-3 to help him stop and if we hit 3, it's time out on the bottom stair. If he goes to stair, he screams and shouts and kicks for 10/15 minutes before calming down. My response is always 'when you are calm, we can talk' but it just seems an outrageous over-reaction to what was originally a relatively minor request in the first place where he simply wouldn't be quiet and LISTEN to what I am asking.

No behaviour problems at school, so how can I create good listening at home?

bellamom Thu 14-Jul-11 11:15:45

bump

Starxx Thu 14-Jul-11 12:08:07

Bellamom, I am in the same situation with my almost 6 year old son so I can sympathise. It drives me absolutely mental and I never know if Im doing the right thing.

Sometimes I can be really calm and ignore the screaming and throwing of things while he does his time out and other times (usually when he has called me stupid mummy head for the fifth time) I get really cross and end up putting him in his room.

Its very hard when they start answering back cos my son tries to negotiate everything and I find the frustration very hard to deal with.

I do hope you get some good advice and Im sorry I couldnt give you any but know that you are not alone in this.

Star xx

Tgger Thu 14-Jul-11 15:05:44

Maybe a reward chart for days when he doesn't scream? Or morning and afternoon if a whole day is too hard? Each day/time period gets a star and then 3 stars (or 5 or however many) get a special treat.

Maybe put him in his room rather than the stair-he might calm down quicker if he is more on his own?

colditz Thu 14-Jul-11 15:07:15

My five year old still throws wobblers, and I put him in his room until he's ready for listening. I think he'll grow out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now