Talk

Advanced search

Finding the volume button on a 5 yo

(14 Posts)
MMQC Thu 14-Jul-11 08:01:10

My daughter was five last month. She's tiny, but makes up for it in confidence and volume. The trouble is, she is just sooooo loud. Every time she speaks it's at full volume. It's not a hearing issue, it's been tested at school.

Apart from telling her to be quiet virtually every time she opens her mouth (which we've been doing for the last two years without noticeable success), is there anything we can do? Is it just a developmental stage that will pass?

TIA

Kaelle Thu 14-Jul-11 10:05:34

I use "could you please use your inside voice? mummy can hear that one just fine!!" and then do my best to stop and listen to her, cuz in my case it was just getting too easy to tune her out...worth a go!

Rillyrillygoodlooking Thu 14-Jul-11 10:17:31

Has she learnt to speak quietly? I don't mean that facetiously but maybe she has trouble controlling her voice.
Perhaps you make it into a game where she has to talk quietly.

I am currently trying to show my 2 year old how to whisper as she likes to talk/screech quite loudly. Its hard!

MMQC Thu 14-Jul-11 11:02:47

She can talk quietly, but the default setting seems to be full volume and she constantly needs reminding. And she'll play whispering, talking quietly games for a bit and then revert to deafening again.

Starxx Thu 14-Jul-11 12:10:52

With my son I dont mind him being loud if he is constantly being loud but what I dont like is the normal voice one second and then all of a sudden shouting and screaming for no reason whatsoever ...scares the life out of me lol.

I guess all you could do really is remind her that she is inside and that we dont talk like that in the house ...I constantly tell my son this and it does work ...till the next time anyway smile

Star xx

MMQC Fri 15-Jul-11 06:56:15

You're right star, there's a time and a place for shouting. And the breakfast table, or the car isn't it.

I guess I shall have to keep at it and hope it passes!

Thanks

Kaelle Fri 15-Jul-11 09:22:52

As w all our parenting, don't you just wish you only had to say it once!!!?? Keep w it; it has worked for all 3dd's, but that's not to say that reminders, on everything, are not a big part of my daily existence...

Kaelle Fri 15-Jul-11 09:25:29

BTW, on the subject of cars, the only accident I have ever had is when two dd's were screechy whiney...let me tell u, I now have ZERO tolerance for shenanigans and noise in the car...and it works...even w their friends. Pls use my story if it helps!!

Starxx Fri 15-Jul-11 12:41:50

Ground hog day springs to mind lol ...saying the same things over and over again!! smile

I remember one time my little man was in the back of the car and Im driving along and all of a sudden he just screams at the top of his voice "BUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS" ...well I nearly pooped myself Im serious lol

Star xx

Kaelle Sat 16-Jul-11 11:42:34

Made me giggle Star!! grin

ExpatMummyInOz Sat 16-Jul-11 11:52:27

OP, just wanted to say that I am experiencing exactly the same issue with my DS aged 4. It's like the volume button was suddenly turned up to maximum one day .....and got stuck there. I've no idea what's triggered it, but he has become so, so loud. I really struggle to get him to talk ' abit more quietly'. I'm hoping it's just another phase and he'll grow out of it.

nomdeploom Sat 16-Jul-11 12:21:39

My 2yo dd is like that. My ears ring at the end of the day. I was hoping it was a phase confused

ceeb Sun 17-Jul-11 21:15:45

My 6 yo is like that and my 8yo is almost as loud. It seems to have gotten worse lately - we were in a restaurant today and it was impossible to get them to keep their voices down. Half the time I think it is an enthusiasm thing, and so I feel badly asking them to turn down the volume because it cuts their enthusiasm/enjoyment. Maybe mumsnet can do a special on this one as obviously there are a lot of us out here who need advice!

Blu Sun 17-Jul-11 21:19:49

Speak to her very quietly.
Always speak to her in a very quiet voice.

And if she bellows back, say "ooh, sorry, I have my small ears on today, I can only make out things said to me this loud". but say it nicely, and don't actually reply or respond until she speaks at a moderated volume.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now