Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

12 months old and tantrums

(8 Posts)
LionsnTigersnBears Wed 13-Jul-11 19:07:54

Help! My lovely dd just turned one and her toddler horns have just grown in. She is having full scale tantrums- bending double on the floor, v. cross, smacking head on floor, the works. I wasn't sure at first but when she started whacking the dog with both fists, the penny dropped. Trouble is most of the advice on tantrums is for a toddler who has some language- or can at least understand some in adults. DD doesn't even have 'no' yet, and I'm not sure she understands word one from us yet. I don't want to encourage her in tantrums by paying lots of attention but can't think how to use techniques like ignoring, time outs, etc. I try to head them off as much as possible but she goes from 0 to road rage in seconds. Has anyone else had to deal with tantrums in such a little 'un and if so how did you help them?

thanks!!!!

TheArmadillo Wed 13-Jul-11 19:10:44

as she is so young I don't really see how not payinig her attention or anything you use for an older child would have much effect as she wouldn't have enough understanding.

Personally I'd just distract her

Unlurked Wed 13-Jul-11 19:12:36

Watching with interest. My 12 month old has been doing this since she was 8 or 9 months. I think she's picked it up from her 3 year old sister who only occasionally throws tantrums and, being 3, can be reasoned with and distracted. So I'm no help at all but you're not alone!!

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Wed 13-Jul-11 19:28:54

I second distraction, ds is also 11 months and has been doing the same thing for about 6 months now grin shock

I can't really blame it on him seeing others do it because he's an only child but I do think it's all down to his natural personality. Both dh and I can be quite quick to temper and as children we were never the most laid back kids, so i think it's just in his genes blush

Unlurked Wed 13-Jul-11 19:38:08

I thought of something that might be useful, could you teach her some signs? I learnt loads from watching Something Special with DD1 and do some with DD2 (just basic yes,no, milk etc). The more they can communicate the less frustrated they get with not being able to make themselves understood.

Unfortunately what my DD usually wants is to eat playdoh/cat food/crayons/shower gel...

LionsnTigersnBears Wed 13-Jul-11 21:20:33

unlurked good idea with the signs. I wish I could get her to pay attention to me long enough to actually see me make signs. I tried tinysigners but dd will look at literally anything but me sad Idrink... and Armadillo distraction not working. She gets so worked up so quickly I can't even reach her before she's she's face down on the floor and once the angry yelling has started, it seems like she's so overwhelmed by her feelings that she's tantruming because of the tantrum itself in a way. Argh! My typical luck. She's behind the other babies in walking/talking/sleeping/eating/getting off my poor boobs but a prodigy at the tantrums. smile

Unlurked Wed 13-Jul-11 22:04:39

She'll probably be coming out the other side of it by the time all her little friends are discovering the joys of the tantrum!

When she does start walking and talking etc (especially talking) you'll probably find that the tantrums become fewer and further between. In the meantime you can join me in chanting 'it's just a phase it's just a phase' 8088654687 times a day grin

LionsnTigersnBears Thu 14-Jul-11 08:14:37

Fingers (and toes) crossed on that!!!!
It's just a phase, it's just a phase, it's just..... smilegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now