Talk

Advanced search

my niece keeps biting and pinching my dd, how can we stop this?

(8 Posts)
llynnnn Tue 12-Jul-11 20:40:39

My dd2 and my dniece have both just turned 2, 90% of the time they play lovely together and are always excited to see each other, but as soon as my niece gets cross with the game/dd she lashes out and bites, pushes, pinches etc my dd. I know this is very normal 2 year old behaviour and they will have their arguments and fall outs but its the biting that is worrying me.

My sister is worried about it too and doesn't know what to do next. She always tells her off, puts her straight on the 'naughty' step and makes her apologise, but its having no affect at stopping this. We explain why its so wrong, my brother-in-law (dniece's dad) even bit her back at the weekend, which is something u didn't really agree with but so many people said that would stop her! It hasn't, she bit aga

llynnnn Tue 12-Jul-11 20:43:41

Sorry, dodgy phone posted before I was ready!

She bit again today. I watch them as much as possible, but it happens so quick out of nowhere! Dniece has never bitten anyone else.

Any suggestions how to get passed this would be appreciated. I hate the fact my little girl keeps getting attacked in this way.

Thanks in advance

BlueArmyGirl Tue 12-Jul-11 21:05:25

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about biting. It is a case of watching them close as you say and trying to step in before it happens (not always easy!). Although they're only young perhaps there is some frustration between your niece and your daughter in that your niece likes to have things her way. Removing your niece from the situation (with a firm 'no biting' or something similar) and giving your daughter lots of attention while she is upset is appropriate. Perhaps playing with them and modelling other ways of playing together would also be useful. I also used to encouraging kissing rather than biting (but it was when ds bit me, so you might not feel it appropriate.)

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 12-Jul-11 21:05:50

At this age and stage you need to be helicoptering like mad; watch both like a hawk and be ready to parry a blow/bite/pinch with your forearm - I don't mean hit, or smack, or push, just block. This means you or whoever need to be on the floor with them [creaky knees]. Take the biter out of the room, say NO (firm voice, pointy finger if you like) and lavish attention on the bitee. The thing with biting/pinching/hitting is that, for the child doing it, it's a VERY effective method for getting what you want and gradually tails off as verbal skills (negotiating in partic) start to emerge

It IS a stage, very horrid for all, remember that this, too, shall pass

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 12-Jul-11 21:06:47

oh I am LOVING the x posts, fab

llynnnn Tue 12-Jul-11 21:23:29

Thank you for your replies. I love my little niece so much, she's so adorable in every way apart from this!

I wonder if she'd respond more to me telling her no and moving her away than just her mum doing it? (of course I'd check she was ok with that 1st)

BlueArmyGirl Tue 12-Jul-11 21:51:06

Could be worth a try, might be a bit more 'shocking' iykwim. smile

llynnnn Wed 13-Jul-11 20:57:33

Thanks, happened again today, think they need to spend less time together at the moment. Which is a shame as they do get on lovely the majority of the time but I just can't keep putting dd in this position sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now