Talk

Advanced search

transitioning from grobag to covers... advice pls?

(8 Posts)
curlyLJ Tue 12-Jul-11 13:58:01

Have also posted this in 'sleep' as wasn't sure where would be best...

DD has slept in a grobag since she was 8 weeks old. It eventually became a real sleep cue for her, however I now know she is no longer using them at nursery as she is sleeping on those little beds (having moved to the toddler room) rather than in a cot... She is now 16m.

I am thinking ahead to transitioning into a bed, which I know might be a few months off yet, but I was wondering what the best way to go about it might be? Is it best to get them used to sheets/blankets in advance, or continue to use the grobags in the bed initially (with no other covers obvioulsy!)?

She will need the next size up bag soon as the ones she is in are 12-18m, so if it's best to start her with blankets, I'll do it then rather than buy new bags.

Please tell me your stories...

Dappylittlemomma Tue 12-Jul-11 14:48:02

I found moving to a bed at 18months in her gro-bag worked well for my DD. She insisted on digging her bag out of the cupboard and trying to climb in when we moved her to covers. A gro-bag when 1st in a bed does seem to reduce climbing out. Good luck!

debka Tue 12-Jul-11 14:52:30

DD went from a sleeping bag in a cot to a duvet in bed when she was about 2. We went and chose a special cover for it together. She's never climbed out and seems very happy.

cheekeymonkey Tue 12-Jul-11 14:53:10

Agree totally with dappy - especially about the climbing out part.

curlyLJ Tue 12-Jul-11 17:15:10

I think DD might try and climb out with a grobag on confused
Sometimes when she is lying on our bed in the mornings - she has her morning bottle there - she tries to go off the bed, still in her bag...

Thing is, she fidgets around a lot in the night - moving her head from one end to the other, so I have no idea how she will manage to stay under covers.

debka Tue 12-Jul-11 20:50:34

If you think she'll try and climb out, definitely give her the duvet. DD1 was a wiggler too but she's very still now she's in the bed. No idea why.

Tigresswoods Tue 12-Jul-11 21:01:41

DS is 16 months and I am in no hurry to move him into a bed with covers. He wears his gro bag at night and even on the hit nights I have been keen to keep him in it as he is a climber. We bought the next size up (as you mention you would need to) and don't see us going to a bed until at least a year from now. Our house is cold in the winter so with a bag at least I know he will be warm.

Good luck but I wouldn't be in any hurry for a while.

mama2moo Wed 13-Jul-11 10:12:06

I was worried about moving my 17mo dd to blankets from her sleeping bags. She loves having a duvet in her cot now and I 'snuggle' her in and tickle her a bit! She now says 'nuggle nuggle' when we are near her bed smile

Ps We moved dd1 to a bed when she was 16mo and it was the worst thing I ever did! Dd2 wakes early some days but is happy to sit in her cot with the books I sneak in at night and will fall back asleep! Otherwise she would be running riot at 6am!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now