Talk

Advanced search

12 Month Old - Time to Night Wean - How?

(8 Posts)
winniethepug Tue 12-Jul-11 02:39:22

Looking for some advice from anyone who has night weaned a very very dedicated breastfeeder! We co-sleep with is obviously going to make it more difficult...he has never taken a bottle or formula (or a dummy).
DS is 12 months old, exclusively bf since birth and has recently started to wake every hour at night wanting to bf. Im so tired that its easier to let him and hope he falls back to sleep rather than resist, which results in a tugging/patting/crying struggle! He is eating (albeit very reluctantly & very slooooowly) 3 meals per day and will drink some water & cows milk from a sippy cup although I don't think it ever exceeds 100mls over the course of the day. I bf him once during the day and always at around 6am and 7pm - waking and bedtime.
He is teething and has started to bite my nipples quite hard, sometimes even holding on and pulling them in his mouth! Obviously this is met with a very stern 'No' and a premature end to the feeding session.
I desperately want to stop feeding (settling!) him during the night because I think he'd sleep better, I might get more than 2 hours sleep at a time and my husband might venture back in the bed!
Any suggestions or experience welcome!

homeedmam11 Tue 12-Jul-11 09:55:21

Ohhhhh....I've so been there, exact same situation, as I'm sure many have.
My son is now 19 mths and still in my bed night feeding too, always refused bottles,dummies etc.
I can say since cutting his canine teeth (which took months) he sleeps much better and only feeds 1 or 2 times on a good night(which is most nights). I was always too tired to try any weaning plans as it was always easier to feed than fight.
Good luck with whatever you do.xsmile

bearhug Tue 12-Jul-11 11:13:23

I recommend Dr Jay Gordon. His method really worded for us. The difference the extra sleep made to us all has improved our family life so much.

winniethepug Tue 12-Jul-11 13:42:01

Thanks I will google Dr Jay Gordon. Tonight he bit my nipple and dragged it backward with his teeth before looking at me for a reaction. A stern NO was met with a giggle and then he did it again. I am positive its time to wean....

missingmyflatbelly Tue 12-Jul-11 14:39:53

Bearhug can u explain what methods Jay Gordon uses? I'm in exactly the same Position with 14mo ds and it definitely is always easier to feed than fight!

MovingAndScared Tue 12-Jul-11 19:38:44

his website explains it really well and we used it and sleep it definatly better if not all the way through

winniethepug Wed 13-Jul-11 08:19:28

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

This actually gives you a guide to follow on night weaning (particularly when you're co-sleeping). I have read this and we're going to try it when I'm back from holidays at the end of July. I'll let you know how it goes!

homeedmam11 Wed 13-Jul-11 09:29:03

Thanks Winnie, I will have a look at this.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now