Talk

Advanced search

sudden stuttering in 2 1/2 year old

(5 Posts)
del1 Mon 11-Jul-11 20:06:52

My 2 1/2 year old DS was brilliant with his speech. He repeats everything you say, knows most words, and we can have a full on conversation with him about anything.
I would say he is probably a bit above average for his age.
But a few months ago, he started stuttering for a few weeks.
It stopped for a few weeks, but seems to have started again over the past few weeks.
It isn't all the time, but he will say for example :-
m m m m m mum ( and then say his sentance)
Do I see if it improves again, or should I take him to a speech therapist to nip it in the bud?
I'm also worried that I've made him do it, as I am pregnant and been very hormonal, and telling off a lot.
Also me and DH havn't really been getting on that well lately.
Would hate it if I've made him like this confused

naomilpeb Mon 11-Jul-11 21:58:53

DD (now 2 and a half) started doing this on and off when she was about a bit over 2. It came and went and sounds very similar to what your son is doing. I was worried because DP's family have a history of stammering, but the health visitor I spoke to said it can be quite normal, linked she thought to their brains going faster than their mouths. She said to keep an eye on it, and when it happens just model back the word she stumbled on. If we were still concerned six months down the line, she suggested asking our GP for a referral to a speech therapist who can do an assessment. As it is, the stammer has now been gone for about 6 weeks so I'm hoping that's it. Hope that help and reassures you a bit.

For what it's worth, my nephew has a bad stammer and his speech therapist told SIL that stammers are very rarely linked to family atmosphere etc - much more likely genetic.

del1 Tue 12-Jul-11 19:36:49

Thanks for your reply!
I did have a look on the internet last night, and they said pretty much the same as you.
But nowhere mentioned about the family atmosphere, so that has reassured me a bit more, and I don't feel as crap now!!
He has only stuttered once today aswell!! smile

PonceyMcPonce Tue 12-Jul-11 19:38:46

MY DDS had a stage like this - I think they were so desperate to communicate it all just burst out of them. They were all early talkers and have gone on to be chatty and articulate (and good readers in case that is linked) and the phase lasted a few months. I ignored.

No particular family drama.

BlueArmyGirl Tue 12-Jul-11 19:57:38

At this age it can just be developmental dysfluency. Children usually grow out of it in a relativey short amount of time. Like naomilpeb says if it persists then an SLT referral might be the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now