Advanced search

Why does DD do this? Any suggestions?

(28 Posts)
Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 10:06:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 10:23:28

Youremindmeofthebean Mon 11-Jul-11 10:30:17

I don't really know, could she possibly be worried about her place in the family and the new arrival and is trying to exert some control?
That's a wild guess though. We go through the bedtime stage with ds every so often where he cries, kicks off, screams for no reason and then after 3 days of the same it just stops and goes back to normal. But he's younger (only 4).
I didn't want you to go unanswered, but I'm not really sure. I hope it's just a phase.

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 10:35:47

ragged Mon 11-Jul-11 10:37:41

Poor impulse control. Maybe she needs little good-natured reminders about what comes next else she goes with an impulse.

piprabbit Mon 11-Jul-11 10:41:33

I was wondering if she was tired/grumpy so close to the end of term, and that the faffing about last night meant she didn't get enough sleep, so that she kicked off this morning.

But you say she is often like it, so maybe not that.

Is she old enough to be reading/ telling the time? Could you do her a simple timetable for the day (get up, breakfast, school run, home, tea, bath, bed) so that she can see the routine clearly and begin to anticipate for herself?

swallowedAfly Mon 11-Jul-11 10:45:37

Message withdrawn

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 10:46:00

swallowedAfly Mon 11-Jul-11 10:48:21

Message withdrawn

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 10:49:42

piprabbit Mon 11-Jul-11 10:52:30

You could take a look at this video clip. There are some other clips about children who always say no and attention seeking which might also be helpful.

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 10:53:03

swallowedAfly Mon 11-Jul-11 10:54:36

Message withdrawn

swallowedAfly Mon 11-Jul-11 10:57:09

Message withdrawn

MugglesandLuna Mon 11-Jul-11 10:59:04

Is DD your youngest? Do you think it could be the baby coming thats making her anxious?

My DS1 went through awful phase just before I had DD, he was 8 at the time and it was really horrible for a couple of months. He even ran away from school once and we had to call the police blush.

Is she happy at school?

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 11:00:59

ragged Mon 11-Jul-11 11:02:19

She'll demand a drink (she has medication that she can't drink after)

Ah, that's emotional, you know: panicking that she will get thirsty, and she only remembers that she can't have the drink after she has the pill (it's become a habit to remember only then). And a habit to think she needs to panic.

So you've got to try to remember to offer (INSIST on maybe) the drink before... I wonder if you asked her to remember she needs a drink before, then she would feel more in control and more like she could cope. Else you'll have to remind her that she's always managed without a drink after pill before, so you both know she can manage again.

Tedious, I know!! Kids, eh, who'd have 'em?

I love how much fun the child actors in that clip were having getting to "act" angry.

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 11:07:56

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 11:11:15

ragged Mon 11-Jul-11 11:13:34

Oh what a pain! Sorry my suggestion no good.
Yes, I have one who seems to just look for things to kick off about, too.

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Mon 11-Jul-11 11:22:37

You have described my ds1. How old is your dd?
DS1 has really poor impulse control, he is getting there but it is exhausting keeping on top of him all the time and catching him before he hits boiling point.
We have a similar situation, me and his dad split when he was 2 met now dh and later married. He doesn't have a close relationship with his rarely around dad but extremely close to dh and he is probably the only dad he really remembers having around.

I know it feels at times like you are making excuses but with ds1 it really does come in waves like this past week he has been a lot better still the odd thing but not the constant we had for a while there and I think the change is because he has relaxed.
We are on school holidays here already and this has allowed him to breathe a bit, at nursery they were doing the big push for going to school in August and he was finding it pretty stressful so we were suffering at home. So it's maybe not excuses it may just be there has been a lot going on in short space of time and this is a reaction to it.

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 11:26:28

TheProvincialLady Mon 11-Jul-11 11:28:24

It does seem as though some of the behaviour stems from change of routine. So she has been bad after a lovely weekend with lots of treats, and on a Wednesday night when she has you to herself with the promise of staying up half an hour later etc. Some children just don't cope well with changes. Could she benefit from everything being very predictable and a bit dull for a while?

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Mon 11-Jul-11 11:32:01

See I find with DS1 the end of school terms and things pretty stressful with him there is always so much going on added to the usual goings on and I think he is starting to get pretty tired.
He is a bit of a worrier as well and being only 5 isn't always sure about what is happening next so frets about it which again means we suffer at home.

Reality Mon 11-Jul-11 11:33:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now