Talk

Advanced search

Help! toddler won't go to sleep!

(5 Posts)
LUCIA22 Sat 09-Jul-11 21:54:08

My ds is 2yrs and ever since he has been able to climb out of the cot he has become a nightmare at bedtime. Have now put him in a bed hoping it would help but it's even worse. Have only just got him to sleep now at 9.30pm! He shares a room with 4th old Dd which doesn't help. I have tried starting the bedtime routine earlier or later, tried lavender oil etc I now sit in the room with them and read for read stories to settle them down then get them into their beds and try to get them lying down. Dd is usually tired and so will go to sleep but Ds will stay awake for ages. If I leave the room he will come out laughing. I have to sit in the room until he is asleep and keep putting him back into his bed. He can lie there for ages with his eyes open even though he must be tired. This evening I got into bed with him in the end because I didn't know what else to do. Putting a stair gate on the bedroom door won't work as he will just climb over it! I am fed up with spending my whole evening just getting him to bed. Any ideas what to try next!

Boys2mam Sat 09-Jul-11 22:00:19

How busy is he during the day? Aim for bedtime in our house is to be as additive free as possible and as worn out as I can make him (my DS is 3 in Sept).

Does he nap during the day?

LUCIA22 Sat 09-Jul-11 22:10:26

Have stopped naps during the day although can't always stop him falling asleep in the car/buggy. He can spend all day busy at nursery or out all day the beach with us and still not go to sleep until late. It's a new thing, just started since he can get out of his cot. Before that he usually went to bed really well at 7pm.

ingridrosa Tue 12-Jul-11 13:21:51

I'm having the same problem with my 2 yr old ds who is now sleeping in a bed. He is constantly getting out of bed and standing at the top of the stairs, silently until one of us goes up. As soon as he sees us coming he'll run straight back into bed again, sometimes laughing. This will go on for up to 2 hours until finally he'll just stay in bed. We've never had problems getting him to sleep before as we're so active in the day. I'm hoping its just a phase...?

noblegiraffe Tue 12-Jul-11 18:17:02

What time does he get up in the morning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now