Talk

Advanced search

1-year-old hits me in the face

(3 Posts)
Maria101 Fri 08-Jul-11 22:41:19

My 1-year-old daughter has always been lovely, smiley, laid back etc. However, just recently whenever I pick her up to take her away from a situation (ie, when she's trying to play with the DVD player or scuttling off mid-nappy-change) she does an annoyed little yelp, stiffens her body and hits me in the face. I tell her firmly no, and she looks sorry and then strokes my face with her finger. I'm really worried she's getting a horrible temper and wonder if there's anything I should do? Or whether it's just a phase? Most of the time she's very loving and sweet.

kalo12 Fri 08-Jul-11 22:45:19

just hold her hand (firmly but gently) and say hitting is not nice. but don't make a big deal of it. she is only one and its perfectly normal

Greenybean Sun 10-Jul-11 14:07:09

Completely agree about not making a big deal about it. I remember getting into a lather about this - we had a biting phase too. With a bit more hindsight (my daughter is now 3) I'm not sure these things mean what they seem to when you're in the middle of them. I think the fact that she looks sorry and strokes you means that's she's a bit ahead of the curve. Small children have stunningly few choices and I now wonder why they don't express more anger and frustration. As long as you're making it clear that it's not on, I think that that is all that's needed at your daughter's age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now