Talk

Advanced search

Can teething cause stinky bright yellow poo?

(9 Posts)
Bbee1 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:25:25

Formula fed 7mth old normally goes once a day. Has been going up to four times with bright yellow poo. GP not concerned as quite bright in himself. Reduced appetite. Think he is also teething upper two front teeth. Is it normal to cause such awful bowel movements?

Newbabynewmum Thu 07-Jul-11 13:45:28

Yup. Definitely can cause horrid nappies. - did in my DD and loss of appetite - again she had only milk really for a few days.

It's not fun. I hope it passes quickly smile

oldmum42 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:50:54

Well, the teething and digestive problems often seem to happen at the same time IME, but I'm not sure teething is the cause...... could be a bug, or a food reaction that has coincidentally happened at the same time.

Yellow poo usually means it's gone through the digestive system faster then usual, but if he's ok in himself, it's probably just a minor bug (which would fit in with the reduced appetite).

Has he had any new foods which could have set of a reaction (baby food with gluten or cows milk for example), if he's sensitive to these, that could be the cause........ but probably a bug would be more likely.

Rubitue Thu 07-Jul-11 13:51:38

OH YES!!!!!

Bbee1 Thu 07-Jul-11 14:31:57

Thanks everyone I'm thinking it's a bug but was wondering if it's a coincidence he is teething at moment

christina1971 Thu 07-Jul-11 14:49:48

Yes - and my poor ds had horrible nappy rash, too.

Bbee1 Fri 08-Jul-11 10:13:53

Has been going on three days now but the frequency has lessened only 2 or 3 times he seems brighter in himself and will take a bottle now. Not sure whether to try feeding him bland food or keep him just on his formula. Poo still bright yellow and copious amounts. Still think he is teething his top gum is red and sore. Anyone else had this sort of poo when baby teething surely if food reaction it would have settled down by now and if a bug would he not be more unwell? Really doubting my own judgement at the moment

WorrisomeHeart Fri 08-Jul-11 11:25:14

My DS always has some form of tummy troubles when his teeth are acting up. At the moment he's working on one of the upper front ones and has much runnier and yellow poo. His wee smells very pungent too and he's not really interested in solid food but is wolfing the milk. As long as your DC doesn't have a temp and is still taking plenty of milk then i wouldn't worry.

Bbee1 Fri 08-Jul-11 13:04:58

Thanks worrisome know I am probably worrying over nothing he is taking milk but nowhere near as much as normal he is a big lad and weaning was going so well so I was worrying about his much reduced food intake. Oh well this is parenthood now I suppose always something to worry about! Bloody design fault of the human race this teething business poor things x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now