Talk

Advanced search

How much does your 19ish month old say?!

(14 Posts)
docket Thu 07-Jul-11 10:36:10

DS2 is 19months and is hardly saying anything. He's got two older sibilngs (both fairly early talkers) and I know that later-borns typically talk later but he is probably only producing 4 or 5 words (one of which is 'cat', applied to all animals!).

I'm doing a psychology degree and my current module is on the development of children's language - all the graphs of 'norms' show children of his age being able to produce 100+ words!

I'm not concerned, just interested in what real people rather than graphs consider normal!

newlark Thu 07-Jul-11 10:54:57

dd said nothing until 27 months apart from "ya" for "yes". We did get referred to a speech therapist at 2 but she was pronounced completely normal after a couple of visits - once she started talking she went through the different stages of speech very quickly (going from single words to short sentences to longer sentences to questions etc). At 4 she is chattering away constantly with a very wide vocabulary. ds started talking earlier but is going through the same stages more slowly. I think it is one of the things like walking for which there is a very wide range for what is considered "normal" - do mention it to your GP or Health Visitor if concerned but I'd be quite laid back about it for the moment based on my experience!

docket Thu 07-Jul-11 11:15:50

Thanks newlark, that's good to hear.

I'm not worried now and he also walked very late (18m!) but is already very steady so perhaps he just likes to wait!

bunnyfrance Thu 07-Jul-11 15:43:17

Hi,

My DS is almost 22 months and his only word is "dada" which can refer to either me or his father, depending who is in the room. BUT I have to add that we are a bilingual family, so we are expecting him to come out with words later. On the other hand, he understands a lot of what we say to him, in both languages, even quite complex instructions.

I try not to worry when I read that they're supposed to be able to produce however many words it is by age 2!

alana39 Fri 08-Jul-11 13:55:33

My 19mo DS2 says papa, dog but without the g (for all animals), woof woof, miaow, occasionally mama and even more occasionally something that sound vaguely like his brothers' names.

He babbles all the time, with the kind of intonation that sounds like talking and has what I think are his own words for lots of other things.

DS2 hardly said anything until gone 2, still not much more than odd words (large vocab though) until nearly 3 then out came all these grammatically correct sentences!

Having just glanced up at bunnyfrance's post, we are also a bilingual family but I know plenty of kids just like mine who have only 1 language to worry about and haven't spoken any earlier.

neolara Fri 08-Jul-11 14:03:16

My 22 month old dd could say no more than 5 words at 19 months, including mama and dada. In fact, 3 weeks ago she could only say about 10 words - I counted. In the 2 - 3 weeks she has suddenly "got" talking. She is adding several new words every day. I would say she is now heading towards 50 - 70 words. My ds was similar and at 4 is extremely articulate and I often wish I had an off button

Sirzy Fri 08-Jul-11 14:24:49

DS is 19 months and can say a lot but nowhere near 100 words!! I am yet to meet a 19 month old that can say that many though!

sugarbea Fri 08-Jul-11 16:11:23

I don't know how I'd begin to count and record 100 words said by my dd 18 mo. She does seem to say quite a lot ( mostly rubbish to cushion the actual words she does know) grin she can name things she sees etc and copies quite a lot. I remember taking my ds on holiday when he was about 2 and being concerned that he didn't talk as much as other 2 year olds and within about 3 weeks he was stringing sentences together out of nowhere so I think they are all so different. 19 mo is still so young. Does your eldest child talk alot? My youngest neice didn't talk until she was about 3 because her elder sister spoke and did everything for her, she had no need for talkingsmile

learningtofly Fri 08-Jul-11 16:16:05

At 19 months ds only said daddy, duck and torty for tortoise. I was getting a little concerned tbh but now at 22 months he is saying more words than I could type on my phone!

SleepyFergus Fri 08-Jul-11 16:19:47

My DD is 20mths old and has about 20-30 words but only uses some of them if you ask her or try to ask a question where she might use a word as the answer. She doesn't chatter and only voluntarily uses the same words over and over again (no, milk, bin, knock knock, ball, gone, away)

She said 'mummy' properly last week, but that seems to have quickly been abbreviated to 'mum' (not happy, i want 'mummy'!) and whilst she knows mummy = me, she also uses it fir DH!

That said, she does seem to be trying to copying more and more words and I do think one day she'll suddenly just start chatting away. She seems to understand loads and I'm always amazed at what words she understands when I can't think how or when shes heard it before! They do say that those who speak later do progress quicker and go straight into simple sentences etc.

I'm not worried and know that she'll be fine and do it all at her own pace but I do get pissed off with those folks that post (on other websites) how amazing their little one is, translating Greek and saying alphabet backwards etc at thus age. Aye right!

monkoray Fri 08-Jul-11 18:32:46

At 19 months DS could only say 5 words but he suddenly started copying everything we said at about 21 months.

Tuppenyrice Fri 08-Jul-11 18:38:40

My 18 month old boy says "yeah" "dankdoo" (thank you) "dada" "mum" and his siblings' names.
I'm not remotely worried and frankly enjoying the relative peace.

mistressploppy Fri 08-Jul-11 19:36:51

DS is 20mo and I've recently tried to write them all down blush. He's VERY talkative though and I got to about 200 and gave up.

The range of normal is so ridiculously huge that it's virtually meaningless a lot of the time!

Knackeredmother Fri 08-Jul-11 19:47:44

My ds is 19 months and has 11 words. I'm too tired to worry !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now