Talk

Advanced search

13 week old DS suddenly not sleeping - help!!

(6 Posts)
VictoriaMc77 Wed 06-Jul-11 07:46:26

Hi my DS is 13 weeks old tomorrow. For about the last 5 weeks or so we have got into a loose routine - bath at 7 pm, last breastfeed upstairs in darkened room and in crib sleepy at about 7.30 pm. He usually takes a bit of settling and DH and I take turns but by about 8.30 pm DS is usually in the land of nod. DS has been waking about 2 or 3 times to be fed (EBF) but feeds and goes straight back off. However, the last 2 nights have been a nightmare!! He is waking, I feed him but he won't go back off.... he thrashes around like I've never seen before (!!) and then cries. He only seems to want to go back to sleep if I cuddle him but then when I put him down he wakes up again !!! Hes also gone from waking 2 to 3 times to about every other hour!! He isn't a particularly sleepy baby and doesn't really sleep much in the day just little catnaps - yesterday he slept on his beanbag for about 45 minutes which was a miracle!

Any ideas of why this sudden change?? I thought I was hard done by getting up to feed 2 to 3 times but now that seems like great compared to now!

At first I thought weather but it has been much cooler last night and still have the same performance! I did notice yesterday a lot of drool and hand eating and wondered whether teething?? Is it too early for this and would this affect his sleep like this? I can't feel anything along his gums ...

Any advice greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

RitaMorgan Wed 06-Jul-11 08:01:43

If he's not getting any decent naps in the day maybe he is overtired by bedtime and struggles to settle? I'd work on getting a couple more hour+ naps in during the day.

VictoriaMc77 Wed 06-Jul-11 08:10:05

Thanks Rita ... he's always been the same though. He fights his sleep so much! Just wondered if anyone had any idea of why the sudden change?

I have tried many times to persuade him to sleep during the day but he's having none of it ....?

RitaMorgan Wed 06-Jul-11 08:13:07

Will he sleep in the pram if you take him out?

VictoriaMc77 Wed 06-Jul-11 08:25:10

Hi Rita yes he does until I stop or go into a shop! so not sure this is a solid sleep!?

xDoingmybestx Wed 06-Jul-11 10:28:35

Yes, teething can affect their sleep. They usually get their first tooth about 4 – 7 months although some sooner and it can take weeks from the symptoms of teething until the tooth appears. You could try a teething gel to see if that helps. Could he be suffering from Wind or colic? Do you swaddle him when putting him down to sleep? If not, you could try that as it makes them feel more secure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now