Talk

Advanced search

What worked for you for teething please???

(26 Posts)
Momo36 Tue 05-Jul-11 12:43:52

My DD is 8 months and is teething very badly. She's my first so I'm not sure what's best. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

peggotty Tue 05-Jul-11 12:45:49

Lots and lots of neurofen!! Teething powders ate supposed to work. DS was such a horrendous teether that nothing but proper painkillers actually helped!!

neolara Tue 05-Jul-11 12:48:06

Neurofen. Calpol didn't touch it.

Madlizzy Tue 05-Jul-11 12:49:24

Anbesol liquid and liquid iboprufen (Nurofen is just a brand name and therefore charges more for the same thing that you can buy generically).

LoveMyGirls Tue 05-Jul-11 12:50:12

Ashtons and parsons or nelsons teething powder.

laurz75 Tue 05-Jul-11 12:51:15

Anbesol was brill for my son and teething powders helped my daughter.

Bigglewinkle Tue 05-Jul-11 12:54:26

Hi there my DS struggled too. Bonjela didn't really help us, but Anbesol seemed to help, it's for mouth ulcers and really numbs the area (I tried it to find out what it was like!)
Also on REALLY bad nights we would give him ibuprofen and calpol alternatively every 2 hours. But this only happened on a few nights. Just to let you know you can do this, but you don't really want to be doing it every night!
Also I sometimes dispaired of ever not having to give DS calpol as standard at bedtime (worrying that he was getting addicted or something!) but he did get through it and sleeps fine now without being drugged!!
During the day, give her cool things to chew like ice cubes, teething rings etc. I'm sure others have lots of advice too, DS was only really bothered at night so I didnt have to worry about daytime stuff.
Good luck!

peggotty Tue 05-Jul-11 12:54:30

Ooh yes forgot about anbesol! It did help a bit in conjunction with neurofen ( or ibuprofen if you please!)

Paschaelina Tue 05-Jul-11 12:55:25

Nurofen and lots of Dentinox. Teething powders had no discernible effect.

fothergill Tue 05-Jul-11 12:58:18

ashton and parsons - sent mine to sleep and all natural. Takes a couple of days to kick in. Come in subversive looking wraps which you have to halve but if you can be bothered they worked well for me. That and the teeth arriving.

RobynLou Tue 05-Jul-11 12:59:02

amber teething necklace - magic!

worldgonecrazy Tue 05-Jul-11 12:59:12

Amber teething necklace.

Momo36 Tue 05-Jul-11 14:27:08

Thanks everyone. Will be stocking up!

milkyjo Tue 05-Jul-11 16:33:46

Can someone enlighten me as to how these amber necklaces work? Do they chew on them? My DS had his bottom two through at 4.5 months, now he's nearly 7 months and seems to have been teething for months but nothing else is through. I keep persevering with the chamomilla powder but only to make myself feel better, I'm not sure how effective they are and I don't want to keep giving him Ibuprofen.

Flisspaps Tue 05-Jul-11 16:35:00

Paracetamol and ibuprofen alternated, and Dentinox gel.

worldgonecrazy Tue 05-Jul-11 16:39:57

milkyjo the amber emits an anti-inflamatory acid when warmed which is absorbed by the skin. They work in the same way that copper bracelets do for arthritis and stiff joints. The baby doesn't actually chew the amber. As far as I know the evidence to support them is all purely anecdotal but we have rarely had to resort to paracetomol.

AddRyan Wed 24-Oct-12 09:03:56

Well, I've got a list of advantages of these teething necklaces when I bought one from this online jewellery shop www.gembid.co.uk
Amber teething necklaces boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, accelerates the natural healing process, alleviates teething pain. They have calming effect without the use of drugs, are used as natural energizer, natural pain killer (reduces or eliminates pain associated with headaches, joint stiffness, etc). Amber has been known to treat discomfort linked to throat, ear and stomach irritations as well as fevers and colds.

DialMforMummy Wed 24-Oct-12 09:38:11

I read an article last week about the amber necklaces (in a French newspaper, Le Figaro). It said that these were pretty much useless but worse still actually potentially dangerous.
Here is the link to the study in question.
Some of it has been translated into English. I am the first one to be a bit hmm about studies that can be found only line, but on this occasion, I think it's worth a read before putting one of theses necklaces on your DC.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 24-Oct-12 13:16:22

Er, Addryan, is there a reason why you are digging out all these zombie threads on teething? Do you work for an amber teething necklace company or something?

Manda472 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:22:00

My 19mth dd has always suffered with teething- ear infections, chronic nappy rash and very sick generally. My doc said forget about the gels and just use paracetomol every 4 hrs.
I was given an amber necklace about 2 months ago and maybe it's a fluke but she is sooo much better and hasn't had any calpol since. Maybe there is something in it....

Rhubarbgarden Wed 24-Oct-12 13:24:45

ZOMBIE THREAD

Manda472 Wed 24-Oct-12 19:40:12

Rhubarb's what's a zombie thread??

scootle Wed 24-Oct-12 19:46:05

A cold wet flannel is good to chew on - you can put it in the freezer for a bit so that it is extra-cold.

teething powders = good for 2 mins distraction

Rhubarbgarden Wed 24-Oct-12 20:02:57

Manda it's an old thread that someone has dug out by doing a search and then commented on like it's 'live'. Look at the dates of the OP and all the posts up to AddRyan's. It looks like she has done a search for threads about teething so she can extoll the virtues of teething necklaces.

Manda472 Wed 24-Oct-12 21:00:20

Ah ha, I see wink
Thought u were telling me off blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now