Talk

Advanced search

Learning Alphabet Colours and Numbers

(9 Posts)
emmaloupolman Sat 02-Jul-11 17:12:24

My ds is 2 half i was wondering when everyones started to learn there abc and colours etc.
My friends ds is 2 months older and is very good with abc but he does go to nursery.
My ds is due to start in september

pranma Sat 02-Jul-11 18:38:21

dgs is 2.4 he knows the primary colours and can count to 10 he can recognise the first letter of his own name,his brother's name.t for tractor and m for Mummy-that's it and I feel its enough for his age.His speech is excellent,he is very co-ordinated[can use a scooter,kick a ball etc],drink from a beaker and eat well with a fork and spoon.He has never een to nursery.

Octaviapink Sat 02-Jul-11 19:07:55

Well, presumably you count with him, point out colours and so on? DD 2.1 recognises about 12 letters of the alphabet (uppercase), knows half a dozen colours and can count to four, but that't not because of nursery or because we've trained her or anything - she's just interested. She can't kick a ball properly yet! Schools aren't that bothered about that stuff - they just want them potty-trained and able to dress themselves!

emmaloupolman Sat 02-Jul-11 19:32:32

Thanks
My ds is potty trained and can ride a scooter eat with a knife and folk.
He can count to 10 and knows colours just gets some mixed up sometimes it was just the alphabet thing he has a poster in his room with the alpabet on, may start making that a daily thing to do together

noblegiraffe Sat 02-Jul-11 19:35:56

My DS is nearly 2 and can recite the numbers to ten (ish) but not actually count objects, knows the names 'red', 'blue', 'yellow' and 'green' but rarely applies them correctly (e.g. 'what colour is the sky?' 'Red!') and doesn't know any letters. He goes to a childminder but whenever we're together I'll count steps he's climbing or blocks or talk about the colour of a car, or his toys. So he is learning them but it's a slow work in progress. I think if you just incorporate it into your every day stuff, they'll pick it up.

notcitrus Sat 02-Jul-11 19:36:47

My ds mastered colours, numbers to 10 and the alphabet by 2.4, but he happened to have some counting and 'things' books that he kept wanting me to 'read' to him, and an alphabet peg puzzle that he was obsessed with for a while. And he loves Numberjacks. I know he picked up the alphabet song from it being in the background music tape at nursery.

Since then he's had other interests, forgotten some of the alphabet, and still doesn't see when you're counting why you have to only count things once when it's more fun to count them two or three times.

He's a much later developer with other things like potty training - we're still teaching him to get his trousers up and down and the potty will have to come after that.

babyjane67 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:55:17

hi
my 2 9 dd can count to20,knows5colors&recognises r&y
she can also sing the alphabet song
shes not potty trained yet though
they are all very different!!lol

BlueChampagne Mon 04-Jul-11 12:41:57

car colours and registration plates are great when you're out for a walk, ditto house numbers and front door colours.

AMumInScotland Mon 04-Jul-11 13:02:11

If you are going to do things with the letters on his poster, make sure you say them in terms of the sound they make, not the name of the letter. They don't need to know "Ay Bee Cee Dee...." etc, they need to know that "a" is the start of "apple".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now