Talk

Advanced search

2 year old shoving favourite food out with tongue but crying and hungry

(7 Posts)
noblegiraffe Fri 01-Jul-11 19:47:49

My nearly two year old in the last few days has started putting food in his mouth, but then immediately pushing it out with his tongue. Things that he definitely likes and has asked for - including banana, biscuits and chocolate. Today he did it with all his lunch except his yoghurt, put it in, but then rejected it, leaving a huge pile of tongued food. He didn't then eat anything all afternoon and was clearly hungry for dinner, for which we brought out the big guns, his favourite spag bol. He was so upset, kept putting it in his mouth then spitting it out and crying - he clearly wanted it but something was stopping him. He then asked for DH's bread and butter and shovelled it away, but periodically rejecting bits apparently at random. He then tucked away two yoghurts.

I had a feel around in his mouth but couldn't feel any teeth even near the surface, he just has his back molars to go.

He doesn't appear to be ill or have a cold or anything that might go with a sore throat.

Any ideas? Also, any ideas on what he might be able eat other than yoghurt? It's so distressing seeing him upset about wanting to eat.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 01-Jul-11 19:51:39

Could he have hand, foot and mouth disease? This is common and mild, but can make eating painful.

MayDayChild Fri 01-Jul-11 19:54:24

I'd say def sore throat poss tonsils. Have a good sniff of breath, anything vaguely pongy is good sign. Or a bad one!
Get torch lay him on floor and tickle him then shine torch down open mouth for a good look
Try custard, readybrek? Don't worry too much I bet appetite comes back soon. They are very resilient. Mine stop eating and I know they are sick!!

noblegiraffe Fri 01-Jul-11 20:08:05

Bingo, tonsils are all swollen. (typing while nursing bitten finger!)

So what on earth do I do about swollen tonsils? Does he need to see a doctor?

Thanks for your help with the diagnosis smile

Al1son Fri 01-Jul-11 20:22:42

Swollen tonsils don't mean an awful lot but red tonsils, esp with yucky white bits on them could need antibiotics so he will need to see a doctor.

MayDayChild Fri 01-Jul-11 20:31:47

Second al1son. Could need antibiotic. Calpol him up for any discomfort. if he gets temp then likely needs antibiotic as a temp is indicative of infection.
Otherwise his tonsils are just doing their job and Absorbing illness so to speak.

noblegiraffe Fri 01-Jul-11 21:08:13

Trip to the walk-in centre tomorrow then. It's funny, because apart from the not eating, he has been on top form.

Thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now