Talk

Advanced search

2 yo difficult to keep an eye on/control when out & about - any recommendations?

(15 Posts)
RememberImAWomble Fri 01-Jul-11 07:29:00

My 2 yo dd is super-independent when we're out of the house, which is great but she wanders off where she can't see me and of course picks up things I'd rather she didn't (and probably their owners would prefer that too).

To put this in context, we live in a relatively quiet area with relatively low traffic (compared with, say, London) so there isn't immediate danger all around - but she could easily get lost, walk in front of a car, pull something onto herself or get taken nevertheless. How can I teach her to stay nearby like all my friends' kids do instinctively? If we're walking along a road she'll usually hold my hand but if we stop anywhere or I have to use both hands for something, she's off!

At home we use the naughty step when I ask her to do something several times (please stay with mummy!) and she doesn't but obviously I can't do this when we're outside! I usually end up having to force her, kicking and screaming, into her buggy for her own safety but a) I don't want her associating her buggy with punishment, nor b) totally restrict her freedom, nor c) terrify her into a fear of the outdoors!

(Not sure if this is relevant but she's too young for playgroup etc where we live. We meet friends with young kids at least a couple of times a week, both outside and indoors, in groups and singly, though. She acts more like the older kids, though without their common sense, than the younger ones!)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Fri 01-Jul-11 07:47:23

Little life do a tuck sack shaped like animals with a strap for you. My son really enjoys his.

Tee2072 Fri 01-Jul-11 07:48:57

Reins.

IDontDoIroning Fri 01-Jul-11 07:59:44

Reins, wrist strap or buggy. Sorry but her safety is more important.

Notanexcitingname Fri 01-Jul-11 10:01:56

My advice (and ds2 is similar, but possibly worse ;)) is not to worry about a) Explain clearly why she's in there, give clear warning and instructions, and strap her in when necessary. She'll not be needing it for much longer, in any case. Or, if like ds2 (2.3) you'll only need it for restraining purposes, not because they can't walk.

My ds2 gets worse when he's tired.

I can't get reins/littlelife rucksac to work-he just sits down, and I don't have the strength to drag him everywhere. Sympathies.

savoycabbage Fri 01-Jul-11 10:08:43

Reins.

I also used to carry a small fabric circle in my bag and my dd had to stand on it when I put it on the ground. She loved it. Of course I looked insane but I have emigrated now so it all worked out in the end. grin

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Fri 01-Jul-11 10:24:39

Btw you can use a naughty step/post/tree outside. You can use it ANYWHERE!

monkoray Fri 01-Jul-11 13:21:01

Like Jolene we have a little life ruck sack with reins and my DS actively goes to get it if he wants to go out. I only attach the leash when i need him to be close by. The rest of the time i unhook it and he can run free.
The leash is longer than traditional style reins which is good and because its a backpack the child feels independent because they can carry their own drink etc so they don;t see it so much as a controlling thing.
www.amazon.co.uk/LittleLife-Animal-Toddler-DayPack-Bee/dp/B000YNPH74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309522762&sr=8-1

CharlieBoo Fri 01-Jul-11 18:34:00

My dd is the same... The little life ruck sack a complete and utter waste of time and money... She just lies of the floor too when I put it on her. It's hard, my dd is also 2 and awful when were out but won't sit in buggy without complete hysterics!

colditz Fri 01-Jul-11 18:34:35

reins

juuule Fri 01-Jul-11 18:36:41

reins or buggy.

colditz Fri 01-Jul-11 18:36:41

As for those who just lie on the floor, put the reins on before you leave the house, (a good hour before you need to), then sit and watch tv while they get qll the filthy behavior out of their system. Once they've screamed their screams and rolled their rolls and kicked their kicks, they'll be far more pliable

juuule Fri 01-Jul-11 18:39:21

I didn't do that Colditz, but if they created when the reins were on then they went in the buggy. They usually quietened down if they wanted to walk.

Nanny0gg Fri 01-Jul-11 19:30:57

Reins.
No 2 year-old is safe all the time without being hand-held, wearing reins or in a buggy.

RememberImAWomble Sat 02-Jul-11 08:59:47

Thanks everyone... we do have reins & luckily she likes them... in an ideal world I was hoping not to need them any more! But guess I'll have to stay patient... smile wonder if they make them retractable like dog leads, that would be good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now