Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take to get 8wo to sleep

(4 Posts)
PinkSchmoo Thu 30-Jun-11 22:14:04

DS is 8 w o. Sleeps in Moses basket at night but after feed takes a good hour to get over. Sh and pat on shoulder.

During day he doesn't sleep in the house. If I have to fight him down it's 45 mins fight for a 30 min nap.

Is this normal? How long does/did it take to get your lo over at this age and any tips? Rocking/carrier dont go more quickly either.

Have you followed a method which one and how quickly did you get a result?

Kiwiinkits Thu 30-Jun-11 22:40:00

Hi, not all babies feed to sleep. A lot actually get a bit of an energy hit from feeding and need some activity like kicking on a mat before they go off to sleep. My advice is from the Baby Whisperer, and it really worked superbly for us. Try to follow a pattern of Eat, Activity, Sleep, Your time (E.A.S.Y) and put him down awake but drowsy (i.e. showing tired signs) as much as you can. At eight weeks, I would follow a rough pattern of 20 mins feeding, 30 mins activities, 10 minutes preparing for bed (nappy, swaddle, close curtains) and then 45 mins - 2 hours sleep. Over time these times will extend so that your baby goes between 3 and 4 hours for a feed.
Recommend Baby Whisperer if you're looking to create good eating/sleeping patterns.

Kiwiinkits Thu 30-Jun-11 22:41:09

Some babies rocking wakes them up and unsettles them. Mine just wanted to be left alone once she'd decided she was tired.

Again Thu 30-Jun-11 22:48:59

With baby no.1 I worried and spent way too much time trying to get him to sleep. With baby no.2 I just get on with life and she falls asleep as and when she feels like it. I don't think at that age that you can rely on a particular method. Sometimes she fed to sleep, sometimes that woke her up, sometimes she fell asleep while I rubbed her feet, sometimes she fell asleep while I was reading bedtime stories to DS. Now she mainly falls asleep in a sling. Their 'routines' change so quickly that it's hard to keep track of them and impossible to impose a routine on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now