Talk

Advanced search

Controlled cyring - some advise please

(10 Posts)
lisalisa Thu 30-Jun-11 15:24:23

I am hoping to try this with my 7 month old shortly.

In short she is up on and off all night - if she is not in bed with me then about every 45 minutes she gets up and I need to rock her and if I put her in bed with me then every 2 hours or so.

She is taking solids well and on 3 meals per day and a happy and thriving baby.

I have 5 other children and did this method with my first 14 yrs ago. With the others I didn't need to.

With my little baby now who is dd4 I was unwell after birth and couldn't put her in a routine and basically did anything in order to get her to sleep - rocking, nursing you name it I did it.

She is no nlongber nursing but she is still in my room and I am very reluctant to move her out. My questions are these:

1 Is the CC method stil lpossible with baby in our room. Presumably I would have to leave my room each time she woke and was crying as otherwise she would see me laying down just inches from her and that would be unbearably cruel ( in fact I think this whole method is a bit cruel but after 7 months of no sleep and health and sanity being affected by no sleep I have to do it - shoudl add that I've tried rock and pat and ssh methods and other softer methods).

2 Also she still has one night feed at 5.00am. She always comes in my bed after the feed. I am happy for that to continue but will that give her the wrong assocaitions again? I don't want to let her cry after a full bottle of milk ( she does take 7oz at that feed and I feel she genuinely needs it at the moment so won't be denyng her that feed as part of sleep training) as that is also unfair as she'll get wind and tummy ache but also don't want to undo all the work of the night.

Please help..........

lisalisa Thu 30-Jun-11 19:40:06

Someone please help.....

RitaMorgan Thu 30-Jun-11 19:44:23

How about pick-up/put-down? You stay in the room to do that.

fifitot Thu 30-Jun-11 19:47:50

I would try and settle with you in the room. Wouldn't worry about 'wrong associations' in relation to the 5am feed. She is still so young. YOu could maybe focus on the rest of the night first and at a later date work on that feed.

Alternatively if you go the cc route I really can't see how you could do it without leaving the room. Can you camp out elsewhere for a couple of nights/

triskaidekaphile Thu 30-Jun-11 20:42:52

Why don't you try sleeping on the sofa just for a few nights while you get her used to sleeping through? Once she's in the habit you can move back in.

lisalisa Thu 30-Jun-11 21:08:59

Yes thanks we are all going to shift around bedrooms so are going to move her out rather than us. She is quite familiar with this room but I'm wondering whether I need to familiarise her at night with the room first before trying the method or if I can just rev up day time familiarisation

Oblomov Thu 30-Jun-11 21:12:03

why are you reluctant, to move her out ?
I am sorry but alot of what you are saying, just doesn't make sense. Move her into her own room. where are you planing on putting her ? in with your other girls ?
try the lay down methiod, this is more loving, doesn't let them cry for long, you comfort them and leave. and go back and go back.
and then if needs be, you go in and give her a feed, at 5 am. simple.

I'm sorry but what is the problem here. I can't see it. I can only see that you are making this into an unnecesary issue. unless there is lots that i am missing.

lisalisa Thu 30-Jun-11 21:17:56

Oblomov - sorry if doesn't make sense - I'm seroiusly sleep deprived. Eventually when she sleeps properly she will share befroom with other 2 dds so 3 in there. Right now though she can't as she wakes up too much. So my plan is to sleep train here by moving her into the boys room. Boys will move out into girls room temporarily and dh and I stay in oour room. So she is in empty boys room till she sleep trains. Then in girls room .

i've tried what I think you refer to as lay down method - i think its also called sh and pat? Where you sit with them whilst they cry and just reassure them. Took hours for her to fall asleep and she woke all the itme and after 2 days I felt as if I was going to pass out from exhaustion and just stopped the method.

Again Thu 30-Jun-11 21:45:04

When she's in bed with you how long does it take her to get back to sleep?

Oblomov Thu 30-Jun-11 22:09:42

Bless your cotton socks, you don't need to talk to me about sleep deprivation. Ds2 cried all night, literaly, off and on, for 1st 3 months. I had ds1, being a shit, turned out to be aspergers. I hadd social services called on me. meanwhile my diabetes went mad, due to stress.
you need to be so strong to do sleep training. everyone says so. a bit like potty training, you ahave to be in the right frame of mind. err, not sleep deprevied.
what does your dh think ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now