Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

3weeks old. not pooped for 2 days?! what to do?

(12 Posts)
Loubilouu Thu 30-Jun-11 12:48:21

hello, i had my first baby 3 weeks ago,
yesterday she did not poop all day, and today she hasnt either.
what can i do to help her go?

Blatherskite Thu 30-Jun-11 12:59:32

Is she BF or FF?

It is entirely normal for a BF baby to go up to 10 days between poos. It's a perfect food so there's not a lot of waste IYSWIM.

Either way, I'd do nothing for now.

piprabbit Thu 30-Jun-11 13:18:59

What Blatherskite said - so long as baby seem usual self.

RitaMorgan Thu 30-Jun-11 13:23:42

If she's breastfed and has been gaining weight fine up til now, and is feeding frequently, I wouldn't worry. So long as she seems content and her tummy isn't hard I'm sure it's fine.

33goingon64 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:28:12

My DS went for 7 to 10 days between poos from about 3 weeks til about 14 weeks. Even now at 17 weeks he only poos twice a week. Think of what you're saving in nappies and wipes! Beware though that the farts get more and more smelly the longer they go between poos...

33goingon64 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:28:40

BTW he is BF...

diyqueen Thu 30-Jun-11 13:34:50

Agree with the above... and be prepared for a biiiiiig nappy full at some point! When my dd doesn't go for several days it's been known to spread up her back as far as her armpits....!

Loubilouu Thu 30-Jun-11 13:39:29

she is on formula, not bf :/ ?

piprabbit Thu 30-Jun-11 13:47:03

In that case, double and treble check that you are using the correct amount of powder in her bottles. It is very easy to put in too much powder for the amount of water you are using and it can make them constipated.

If your baby seems happy, I'd still leave it another day or so before talking with your HV.

RitaMorgan Thu 30-Jun-11 13:47:09

Can you see your HV for advice? Maybe an oz of cooled boiled water would help - but with a baby so young you should probably get some medical advice before giving anything but milk.

happygilmore Thu 30-Jun-11 13:48:54

Even ff fed babies can go a couple of days between poos, not sure from how young though. DD certainly did. Does she seem OK in herself? Are you still seeing the midwife? If so, ask her what she thinks.

Blatherskite Thu 30-Jun-11 14:01:11

What Rita said.

I'd give the HV a call and maybe get someone to see her. If she seems fine then do nothing for now, if she seems uncomfortable (they pull their knees up and scream if their tummy hurts) try an oz of cooled boiled water in a bottle. I know my HV suggested a teaspoonfull of Apple juice in a cup of water when DS got constipated but that was when we started solids so he was quite a bit older than your DD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now