Talk

Advanced search

Potty training - is anyone else doing it now?

(12 Posts)
electra Thu 30-Jun-11 11:51:26

I've just started with dd. She seems to understand the concept of wee wee and potty but what I've noticed is that she doesn't look comfortable to do a wee and is doing very tiny wees all over the place, like she isn't going properly.

Does it just take some time for them to feel comfortable weeing outside the nappy?

babuda Thu 30-Jun-11 11:55:13

how old is she???

electra Thu 30-Jun-11 12:02:59

She's 2 and 3 months.

babuda Thu 30-Jun-11 12:19:23

i hv 2.6 yr. potty training can be slowly introduced to her. at this age she can understand that everything gets dirty and not easy to clean so give an examples of adults and motivate her by saying now u hv also grown up and can do things like us. offer her something which she likes if she follow ur instructions.

pranma Thu 30-Jun-11 18:51:55

My dgs is 2.4 and dd started last week-as long as has no pants on he will take himself for wees in the potty.If he has pants he cant get them down quickly and will wee in them so tend to leave him with no pants in the house.Poos are more problematic but he has done one in potty and one in toilet........and two on the floor.Dd started off using sweets as a reward but he weed so often saying,'Jelly baby please' that she has switched to stickers which he loves to have either on his top or to stick on the potty!

Piglet28 Thu 30-Jun-11 18:59:49

I started potty training my DS when he was 2.1 and we are now successfully in pants now at 2.5. It takes time and patience. It sounds like your little one may not be quite ready. My DS started by weeing in a potty and got poo straight away, but lots of wee accidents! Just give lots of praise and stickers, even when they recognise that they have done a wee or poo in their nappies. Pull ups were useless as he realilsed he could just wee in them. Good luck it's hard work!

Tgger Thu 30-Jun-11 19:59:40

Don't worry. It takes them a while to get used to the feelings of when they need to go etc. lots of tiny wees is quite normal to start with. I'm going to bite the bullet in August with my 2 year old. She's a bit older (2.5) and I know she's ready as she keeps telling me when she's weeing, and we've had a bit of a practise on the potty at bathtime etc.

Doitnicelyplease Fri 01-Jul-11 02:45:12

I tried to train DD at 2.5 months, but after 4 days she was still weeing every where and refused to poo in potty (we stayed in the house for 4 days with just pants on, had rewards etc), it just wasn't clicking - eventually she asked to have her nappy back on. I didn't want to turn it into a battle so agreed.

We tried again last week (2.9 now) and it was like night and day, successful wees straight away and poos after three days, we are about a week and a half in and only have the odd accident now. She is really proud of herself and rarely needs prompting to go. We only use a pull-up for nap and nighttime, pants only the rest of the day.

My advice if they don't click in a few days back off and try again later. Keep the potty around and refer to it occasionally but no pressure.

I think it is true that most of the time it will be easier if they are really ready and willing.

Good luck

olibeansmummy Fri 01-Jul-11 20:24:03

I'm potty training my 2.1 year old ds and 5 days in were getting there smile. At first he refused to use the potty at nursery so I told them to put him in pull ups, but then I found he was 'dribbling' wee everywhere so now he's in underpants all the time except for bed. Today he did 4 wees at nursery and several at home and his first poo on the potty smile. He has had 2 accidents though. When we go out he tends to hold it in so we need to get the hang of erring when out next smile.

emmaloupolman Sat 02-Jul-11 20:53:44

My ds is 2.6 years and picked it up 5 weeks ago straight away and within 5 days he was in pants at night its only been since last saturday that he poo's on the potty
I used a sticker chart

electra Sat 02-Jul-11 22:38:27

Thanks for replies - I've had to leave it for a while as my 7 year old who is easily disgusted by things shouted 'ew that's disgusting!!!' when she did a poo on the floor. Her worried little face made me think I ought to leave it until next week. I am not particularly concerned about doing it right now. Meanwhile I've explained to all in household that we mustn't say anything that makes her feel bad about it! I've just left the potties around and perhaps we should practice at bath time first.

Octaviapink Sun 03-Jul-11 08:06:37

Glad to read these - have been feeling that I was doing my DD a disservice by not trying too hard with it (she's 2.1) but I didn't want to make it an issue. She pooed once in her potty by fluke and shows no interest in weeing in it - if she's nappyless then she just wees and walks away. I think I'll give it a few more months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now