Talk

Advanced search

Nightlight for 4 y/o DD and separation anxiety?

(16 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Wed 29-Jun-11 22:45:35

I wonder please if anyone can help me?

My DD is just 4 and has gone through waves of being brave in her life and waves of being downright scared. Right now it's her room, we have this yearly, usually around her birthday.

So now she is afraid of the dark and also suffers with proper night terrors (as opposed to nightmares I cannot wake her).

I am thinking or hoping a new nightlight will help but one that can stay on all night? Anyone have any good suggestions please?

I travel a bit with work and have just come back from a 5 day trip. DH said she was fine but since I've been back the night terrors have been bad and she is teary again at nursery drop off. She starts infant school in September, what can I say to try to avoid departure breakdowns?? If s teacher comes to try to distract her she gets 10 times worse!

Many thanks in advance,
BBF

angelPeacock Wed 29-Jun-11 23:57:08

we have a great one for our DD who is a terrible sleeper, she wakes so often (its calming down now) in the night, and my mum found a "safetly lamp" which is on most of the night, most nights.
its a tatty teddy one, and ive seen them on markets etc, but im sure if you google it something similar will come up.
its totally enclosed so they cant touch the hot bulb inside, and takes energy saving bulbs aswell as normal ones. DD loves hers coz its pink hahaha
cant really help with the anxiety, never had that issue with my two (DS is SN and DD is just super outgoing).
good luck xx

diddle Thu 30-Jun-11 00:04:42

We have lumilove nightlights, you charge them in the day then switch it on at night and unplug it from the charger and your dd can have it in bed with her. They are brilliant. Good luck

startail Thu 30-Jun-11 00:07:32

DD2 has a string of battery powered fairy lights (and a Dad who supplies endless recharged batteries)

BlueBumedFly Thu 30-Jun-11 07:42:06

Thank you all, just up now after a screaming episode at 3am and one at 5am. Might post about that too smile

We have butterfly fairy lights and I left them on all last night thinking it might help but apparently not sad will look in to the others just now.

Thank you!

feedthegoat Thu 30-Jun-11 07:52:08

Ikea do a great one too that you charge all day and it stays on all night. It looks vaguely like an animal - I can't do link as I'm on my blackberry. Ds loves his and calls it 'lampcat'. It goes with him for sleepovers!

BlueBumedFly Thu 30-Jun-11 08:04:13

Feedthegoat - how long does the charge last? It says 5 hours but her Old lumilove said that but lasted all night. Does he keep it in bed or on the side? Many thanks

BlueBumedFly Thu 30-Jun-11 08:05:35

Diddle - does your lumilove keep changing colour or stay the same? I like those but our old one kept rotating coolers, maybe that's ok though?

BlueBumedFly Thu 30-Jun-11 08:06:15

Haha, sorry rotating colours not coolers!!

BlueBumedFly Thu 30-Jun-11 08:10:59

Angel - found tattyteddy it is sweet! Thank you

angelPeacock Thu 30-Jun-11 18:28:12

BlueBumedFly, your very welcome. all the other ideas will be looked into for me to ween DD off her lamp in the future xx

feedthegoat Thu 30-Jun-11 20:33:04

Ours is always still functioning in the morning even after 12 or 13 hours. Most nights he leaves it on the side table but he does take it into bed with him every now and again.

VelveteenRabbit Thu 30-Jun-11 22:45:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueBumedFly Fri 01-Jul-11 09:59:56

Velveteen - thanks but we have one already and Ive tried to tell her it's a light but apparently 'it's just a clock mummy!' bless them. She gas said an in bed light would help and wants a panda .... Off to jojomamanbebe in hope of a result.

Thanks everyone, have not used MN in ages as was tired of lots of arguments but this has been so helpful so many thanks x

thankyouforcats Fri 01-Jul-11 10:24:54

We tried all sorts but found the ones that you charge during the day do not last a full night. So we just ended up with a peppa pig push light/night light by Characterland. Cost about £5 from amazon. The battery lasts for a good week then we just recharge. You can tell when about to run out as they go dimmer. After using this for about 2 months my dd has even started falling asleep without it on.

BlueBumedFly Fri 01-Jul-11 17:38:16

Thank you will google that one now x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now