Talk

Advanced search

6month 3 week baby doesn't babble yet

(11 Posts)
carpetcleaningwizard Wed 29-Jun-11 15:48:28

My lovely DD makes a shit load of noise, and is doing huge amounts of vocal play, plus things like ah go, aaaah, sometimes he he he, but doesn't do the canonical babble (mama, gaga). Should she yet? I thought she would. Just a bit worried, that's all. Not sure when it's meant to be a problem or when next check up is.

Am i being utterly neurotic?

Stangirl Wed 29-Jun-11 16:32:48

Someone will be on here soon with more exact advice but my DD didn't say "dada" etc until nearly a year - and she's fine.

drystonewarning Wed 29-Jun-11 20:36:15

Wow I didn't even know babies were supposed to babble that early! DD is almost exactly the same age as your LO and seems to do exactly what you describe but definitely no mama/gaga etc. DS didn't babble at all and barely said a word (apart from screaming and 'no') till he was 18 months but 6 months on, he won't stop talking. Funny how you wish so hard for something to happen and then... wink

LiegeAndLief Wed 29-Jun-11 23:12:10

You are being utterly neurotic (in the kindest possible way smile).

Ds didn't babble at all until at least 9-10 months. Said his first word at 18 months, so quite a late talker. He is now 4 and I can't shut him up. His friends were all very varied as babblers/talkers - one of them was talking in sentences at 18 months and you can't tell any difference between them now.

kalo12 Wed 29-Jun-11 23:16:08

i was worried at this age too. thought the worst possible things, anyway started babbling / saying words at 13 months ish, completely normal, infact very bright, chatty sociable 3 year old now

carpetcleaningwizard Thu 30-Jun-11 07:38:48

Thanks all, very helpful. But let me clarify - I am fully aware expecting words would be a put of a push at 6months 3weeks. I was really just meaning ga ma da etc. I'm not totally out of my (neurotic) mind!

Cosmosis Fri 01-Jul-11 12:53:54

DS only started babbling at 9m, I think 6m is too early for babbling really.

kalo12 Sat 02-Jul-11 15:26:53

yes i was really worried about baba, gaga, mamamama etc i remember bringing it up at my 8 month review. I was convinced my ds was autistic. He still didn't start bbbling til much later and is very normal

swash Sat 02-Jul-11 20:07:26

Honestly, it is sooo much more relaxing having dc2. You forget all this sort of stuff and just watch your baby develop. Am quite sure I worried about this with dc1 - she didn't babble at 6 months and said her first word at about 15 months. Please please don't worry - none of us can really remember the whole babbling thing, because it really doesn't matter. smile

carpetcleaningwizard Mon 04-Jul-11 10:49:58

Thanks all. I feel reassured. Yes I know I should chill out but hard to sometimes...

Tconvert Tue 19-Jul-11 10:02:42

Hi i am glad for this thread my dd is 8 months on 1 august. what should she be able to do with noises and sounds because i don't know. she is my first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now