Talk

Advanced search

5 week old baby - okay to watch from distance if happy playing alone?

(12 Posts)
peedieworky Tue 28-Jun-11 09:18:19

Hi all -

My DS is 5 weeks old and happily plays alone in his gym or on his bouncy chair without me for over 30 mins at a time. This is great for me as I can get on with other things while he is cooing and smiling away - when he gets bored he quickly lets me know! As the day progresses I tend to play with him more as he can be a bit more grumpy in the afternoons.

Anyways.. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that he'll be getting enough stimulation without me chattering to him?

Thanks!

BertieBotts Tue 28-Jun-11 09:31:09

Oh yes, he'll be absolutely fine! You don't need to be interacting with them all day, as long as you aren't leaving him cryong for ages. It's really good for them to see you doing things around the house too, i'm sure he'll be more interested than you'd think.

If you are feeling bad or keep getting interrupted though, you could try a stretchy wrap sling, i loved mine.

MmeLindor. Tue 28-Jun-11 09:33:03

Oh, absolutely fine.

Get him used to playing on his own from an early age and you will have time to MN when he is a toddler. grin

missingmyflatbelly Tue 28-Jun-11 21:21:29

of course its fine! enjoy it! so long as throughout the day you are still interacting with him, if he doesn't need you all the time you are very lucky smile also while hes in the bouncer watching you you are offering him plenty of entertainment, babies love to watch their mummimes smile

dustyhousewithdustypeople Tue 28-Jun-11 21:24:27

Yes, yes, yes! In fact if you interrupt him you might spoil his fantastic concentration span. Really jealous that mine weren't like that...

monkoray Tue 28-Jun-11 22:17:49

Wow, long may it last, lucky you - and yes absolutely fine.

Cheeseandbiscuits Tue 28-Jun-11 23:18:21

You lucky thing! Sound wonderful, congratulations on your baby boy

NotJoiningIn Wed 29-Jun-11 07:41:46

Enjoy it while it lasts! My DD was like that. Now, at 7 months, I can't leave her alone for one second as she cries when I leave the room or tries to crawl or pull up on the furniture and falls flat on her face!

peedieworky Wed 29-Jun-11 08:25:27

Aha! I sense this is like when he was about a week old and slept 6 hours through the night. I was asking MW whether to wake him and anxious about him being hungry. Safe to say that phase didn't last and I should have made the most of it!

Cosmosis Wed 29-Jun-11 12:51:25

It might last a while yet, my DS has always been the same - he's 9.5m now and I often peek around the corner watching him play happily on his own smile

peedieworky Wed 29-Jun-11 15:45:42

Cosmosis, you have given me hope!

Cosmosis Wed 29-Jun-11 16:01:45

I love watching him play, it really makes me happy. On the flipside, I remember the first time I realised he was crying because he wanted to be down on the floor playing and I was quite upset he didn’t want to be with me. He does make up for it by insisting on being cuddled to sleep though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now