Talk

Advanced search

Cups of Tea

(18 Posts)
springbelle Mon 27-Jun-11 22:56:45

Bit of a silly question methinks but how old were your DC's when they started drinking tea (black with a little milk).
My DD is 21 months and is constantly asking for a cup of tea when I'm having one!!
She is getting a tad board with water and milk......
I'm sure I remember drinking tea with my Nan when I was about 3.

whysolate Mon 27-Jun-11 22:58:22

DC3 loves a cup of tea! He's 3 and started having milky tea around 18 months.

swanker Mon 27-Jun-11 23:04:53

Small children shouldn't have tea- the tannin leaches iron from them, and can lead to a deficiency/anaemia.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 27-Jun-11 23:07:10

Nonsense.

cat64 Mon 27-Jun-11 23:09:09

Message withdrawn

swanker Mon 27-Jun-11 23:21:22

No- it isn't nonsense:

nhs guidelines

swanker Mon 27-Jun-11 23:22:41

Sorry- the tannins reduce absorbtion of iron from food sources if you wish to be pernickety- which is fine in healthy adults, but obviously more of a problem in children who have smaller stores of iron.

hefferlump Mon 27-Jun-11 23:35:30

I've been giving 'tea' to DS since he was 2 because he wanted to join in with me so I dip my used teabag into a cup of warm millky water. Hardly any 'tea' in there really but he loves it for whatever reason :-)

Roo83 Mon 27-Jun-11 23:45:15

You could try redbush or herbal tea if you're worried about normal tea. I let ds (3) have a hot chocolate now and again which he loves, maybe she could have that instead?

miranda66 Tue 28-Jun-11 13:45:58

I have to agree with swanker, certainly for the younger children, ie under fives. Drinking a lot of cow's milk can also lead to a problem with iron deficiency, admittedly, it is unusual but does occur.

Wigeon Tue 28-Jun-11 13:49:27

Wouldn't the caffeine content of tea be unsuitable for young children? Does anyone know?

miranda66 Tue 28-Jun-11 13:57:37

Hi Wigeon,

Yep you're right, it can cause hyperactivity - although fizzy drinks have much higher levels of caffeine in them...

If you can get away with just water and milk... wink

MmeLindor. Tue 28-Jun-11 14:00:01

I was warned during pregnancy not to drink too much tea as I was anaemic and the tea prevented the iron being absorbed by the body, so it is not nonsense.

There is no way I would let a child under 5yo drink tea.

swanker Tue 28-Jun-11 14:19:11

Mme- my body wouldn't let me drink tea when I was pg envy (vom emoticon not envious)

My 2 are interested in my wine, but I won't be giving them any!

I have given peppermint tea though, and fennel (I think in Germany this is de rigeur for babies?)- both mine like them, but drink them virtually cold.

MmeLindor. Tue 28-Jun-11 14:26:18

Swanker
Yes, in Germany the DC get fennel tea and maybe fruit or other herb teas. Giving a child black tea would be akin to offering a British child a glass of whisky - they would be horrified.

I did restrict my tea drinking during pregnancy, and drank a lot of redbush tea.

nickelbabe Tue 28-Jun-11 14:34:11

children shouldn't drink tea.

if your child desperately wants a grown-up drink with you, can't you make hot chocolate or something like that?

I once madea drink for a child where I pretended to put the teabag in, so they were effectively drinking hot water with milk and a bit of sugar.
seemed to suit he child okay.

gourd Tue 28-Jun-11 15:34:07

We drank tea and even drank very milky coffee as kids, but not till primary school age. I'd suggest some redbush/bush/rooibos tea, which looks like black tea and tastes similar to it. It can be drunk with milk just like black tea, but is naturally caffeine free and low in tannins.

Catsycat Tue 28-Jun-11 15:48:29

Hipp Organic used to sell the fennel tea MmeLindor mentions above - this was 3 years ago, but they are probably still doing it. It is also supposed to be good for digestion, heartburn, and colic in babies (we gave it nearly cold in a bottle to DD1 when very small and windy).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now