Talk

Advanced search

Should I take the plunge and toilet train dd3?

(6 Posts)
electra Mon 27-Jun-11 21:59:36

As I have 2 older children I should be an old hand at it right? Sadly not as dd1 was trained by her ABA team (has autism) and dd2..........well lets just say she was in pull ups at night until reception.

Dd3 is different -she seems quite straightforward compared with the other two. She 2.2 and when she's done a wee on the floor she says 'wee wee' and clutches herself and also says if she's done a poo.

Anyone have any tips for what to use for rewards or reinforcers?

sneezecakesmum Mon 27-Jun-11 22:46:38

I would just say lots of hugs and excited clapping!

If she can comprehend star charts they are agood idea, with a little reward at the end of the week for x number of stars.

tbh I just think praise and hugs are sufficient rather than make a big fuss, that way she takes it in her stride and its just a normal part of life - which it is!

Rewards etc have more merit with children who are experiencing difficulties in the toilet training arena.

electra Tue 28-Jun-11 12:05:07

Thanks sneeze. I think it might be a good time to try as the icy winters we have are so cold it won't be ideal then.

olivo Tue 28-Jun-11 20:50:26

my DD is 22mo and has started telling us when she needs a wee and doing one on the loo 2 or 3 times a day. She loves nothing more than a clap or a sticker - she has seen her older sister get stickers for good things so she knows they are special!
go for it while you can! my DD1 is nearly 5 and stil in pull ups at night!!

sneezecakesmum Tue 28-Jun-11 21:41:55

Go for it definitely. My two NT sailed through at 2 ish. DD became instantly dry at night! (grin) a bonus as DS needed a nappy at night for quite a while as he insisted on a bottle of milk at bedtime. He'd get up in the morning and twang his wet nappy in a corner of the bathroom. lol

PS Girls are much easier that boys!

electra Tue 28-Jun-11 22:15:10

I didn't realise the key age was 2-2 and a half until I read about it the other day. Did you use books or dolls? Some stuff I've read recommends that but perhaps not necessary?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now