Talk

Advanced search

Pinching/grabbing flesh, 5mo - normal?

(11 Posts)
LotteryWinnersOnAcid Mon 27-Jun-11 18:23:01

DP and I are covered in cuts on our necks, chests, arms and faces from where DS has grabbed us while being held. It isn't when he's distressed necessarily. His nails are short, it is just the sheer force of him pinching us by grabbing handfuls of skin that causes the cuts. My breasts are also cut as he does it when feeding! It's been going on about a month. Is this normal behaviour, and how the hell do we get him to stop?!

He has also started to bite (although no teeth) my nipple when feeding, and pulling away on purpose, whilst he is 'biting'. It's uncomfortable to say the least. Again, is this common? Can I stop him doing this?

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Mon 27-Jun-11 18:23:38

Sorry, he's 5 months old.

Lovemy2babies Mon 27-Jun-11 19:13:40

It's not nice us it!
My 2 did this but dd2 was worse.
Had lots of paper like cuts all over breasts.

Looks like I had been self harming! blush

Lovemy2babies Mon 27-Jun-11 19:16:35

Should add the pinching is a reassuring thing they do and also meant to encourage milk supply.

The pulling nipple thing while clamping down with gums is very painful! I think they try to play with thier food! They fo grow out of that quick. Take him off breast and say no nxt time

sancerrre Mon 27-Jun-11 19:22:08

So glad my DS isn't the only one! He's 7 months old has been doing the grabbing for about a month now. It's blimmin painful, isn't it! He does it mostly when tired, bored, frustrated. I've had to put him down a couple of times as it was too painful to carry on being pinched. I've started quickly moving my arm away when he's about to do it. I've also shouted out in pain a couple of times which seems to surprise him into releasing his grip but not upset him.

Not had the biting yet thank goodness!

Adair Mon 27-Jun-11 19:23:22

Yes, ow!

He also has little scratches all over his head... am trying to cut nails short.

TooManyBrownies Mon 27-Jun-11 19:26:17

Marking place. Dd same. 4 months. Always been v fidgety feeder. Has to be restrained whilst feeding and does that gummy bite thing. Breasts covered in scratches! Also has left breast preference. No probs feeding other 2 children but she is dreadful. sad

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Mon 27-Jun-11 20:59:17

sancerrre, I have squealed in pain a few times and once or twice this has frightened him and made him cry sad - doesn't make him stop though. I don't want him to be scared but it is a shock to be pinched for anyone. Mostly though when I squeal he pays no attention. Try to say "no" in a firm voice (this worked on my dogs as nippy puppies!) but no joy!

Catsycat Mon 27-Jun-11 21:10:19

Adding my vote that this is normal. I looked like I had acne on my chest when I BF'd, but it was all pinches from DD2!

You may need to take him off the breast, then say no, as it might have more impact coupled with the food supply being interrupted.

missdt Mon 27-Jun-11 21:16:45

Ds is 7.5 months and has been doing this for about a month. Particularly hurts when he goes for my neck. He's so strong and he does it so suddenly. Not out of frustration so I don't think there's much to be done. I try not to make a big deal of it (hard when it makes me want to scream) and just remove his little nippy fingers. I don't think no works at this age and I don't want him to realise it gets him attention and him start doing it for kicks!

TooManyBrownies Tue 28-Jun-11 07:00:48

Ds1 and ds2 started this ( we call it buggering about) much later 7.5 months and 9.5 months... I took it as time to wean and moved onto formula. But dd to young and has done it pretty much from birth. Only time she settles for a quiet feed is when she is half asleep anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now