Talk

Advanced search

Morning bottle

(10 Posts)
steben Mon 27-Jun-11 13:55:53

I am starting to worry that I have made a rod for my own back with DD (14months). She currently has a bottle at morning and night and is very attached to it. However from speaking to other mums their babies seem to have already dropped morning bottle and just have a night one. Our problem is that we have an early waker - between 5-6 - and once she has her bottle and a change she is usually content to go back down for at least another hour so basically I have been reluctant to give it up and am now dreading the prospect of weaning her off it.

Has anyone else been through this and offer any advice?

Timeoutofmind Mon 27-Jun-11 15:59:43

I really wouldn't worry yet as she is so young, but have you tried to see if she will take the milk from a cup instead?

headfairy Mon 27-Jun-11 16:01:23

my 18 month old has just started asking for milk in a bottle in the morning. She hasn't had morning milk for 6 months but has suddenly started wanting it, and she won't accept it from a cup. To be honest I never worry what anyone else is doing. If it makes her happy, and she goes back to sleep then why worry?

Tee2072 Mon 27-Jun-11 16:13:49

I am banning the words 'rod for my own back' effective immediately.

No such thing. My 2 year old still has a morning bottle or sippy cup of milk.

Every child is different as is every family. If it works for you ignore everyone else.

MamaChoo Mon 27-Jun-11 18:45:16

DC had a bottle on waking until we left the last bottle in a hotel on an island and were not prepared to a. Buy another or b. Get the ferry back to fetch it. Age was 2.6. Hydration, nutrition, soothing, peace and quiet, all for the same hassle as making a cup of tea. (Which is quite a long process when camping, admittedly, but usually dead easy.)

greenshoot19 Mon 27-Jun-11 19:24:06

sounds just like my 12 month old DD (except she has one in the afternoon too!!). I'm not stressing just yet, they are still very young! i've just discovered she quite likes drinking water from a mug so at some point i'm gonna give this a go with milk, as the first step! i wouldn't stress though steben and i agree with Tee, going down the road of comparing to everyone gets addictive and only leads to heartache. be confident in your own mummy-daughter relationship and instinct. you'll work it out smile as will i!!

itsastrawpoll Mon 27-Jun-11 21:12:27

Mine is 12 months on Weds.

Three weeks ago she was having 3 bottles a day, now she's having none.

She has a habit of waking at 5 something and we used to keep a clean bottle and a carton of formula in the bedroom when we brought her in to our room.

Two weeks ago we ran out of cartons so I brought a bottle of water instead. Amazingly, she was happy as anything with that so we started giving her water in a bottle instead of milk. Dropped her lunchtime bottle without protest too. Just a couple of days ago we dropped the bedtime bottle too and just started giving her milk and water in a cup.

Amazingly, since then, she;s started sleeping through til 6.30!

Have you tried water instead? It is VERY hot atm, she may just be thirstY?

steben Mon 27-Jun-11 21:43:11

Thanks for replies, yes have tried water and she goes mental when she realises it isnt milk! Think I will just not stress and go with the flow for a bit and look at it in another couple of months

CBea Tue 28-Jun-11 10:38:35

My little one is two and only just come off her morning bottle.... Was hell to start with but in the end she just forgot as we moved the routine by giving her the bottle at the breakfast table and then slowly "forgot" about giving it and she forgot to ask for it and now has water or juice for breakfast.

SharkSkinThing Tue 28-Jun-11 18:15:51

My DS is 11 months, we stopped BF at 10 months and he now has 4oz of milk in the morning and 7oz before bed. AM milk in a cup, PM milk in a bottle.

HV told me to drop ALL of the milk if he was feeding well (and he is), but I just didn't think that was right - I LIKE the fact he has milk first and last thing, it works really well as part of his routine. He doesn't have enough in the morn to interfere with his brekkie, and a bottle last thing really does mean he'll go through from 7pm (with the occasional squeek).

But, he is also an early waker (5am, generally), but I won't give him his milk until we get up (at 6am), mainly because it makes no frickin' difference to him going back to sleep, and we've only just managed to get him stopping waking at 4am. Seriously.

So, yes, trust your instincts and go with what you think she needs! My DS is off the charts length wise (DP is 6ft7) and a hefty 25 pounds, so I'm keeping him tanked up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now