Talk

Advanced search

My whinging baby is driving me f**ing nuts

(18 Posts)
carpetcleaningwizard Sat 25-Jun-11 18:29:55

My 7 month, usually chilled out daughter, has gone into whinge overdrive. ALL THE TIME. Why? Teething? She has had loads of dribbles but not this week when the whinging started. I can't put her down without a mini meltdown. She's happy for a few minutes and then wham! This low horrid drone emits from her for ages......... It's sooooo unlike her. She has been such a great chilled baby until now.

Please someone tell me it's a phase otherwise..

Lovemy2babies Sat 25-Jun-11 18:54:18

Separation anxiety?
She can sense your annoyed with her so it makes her anxious?
Teething?

Octaviapink Sat 25-Jun-11 18:54:41

She's probably getting frustrated with her physical inabilities - can't eat effectively, can't sit up properly, can't move herself around. Bear with it - it will pass! You can help her by giving her opportunities to approach her world in a different way physically - perhaps put her in her high chair with her toys on the table, or sit her up on the floor propped up by cushions.

BenRoo Sat 25-Jun-11 19:53:24

Instead of spending ages trying to figure out why you could always try a sling?
Their great for when baby just won't settle and your free to get on with chores etc..
I can defo say it's helped me and my sanity.
I also have a 7 month old wink

greenshoot19 Sat 25-Jun-11 21:14:48

feel your pain carpetcleaningwizard! its so frustrating when you have a usually chilled out baby and they start to constantly whinge, it feels like you're going backwards! my DD did this around 7months too, like octaviapink says, it was def frustration at not being able to move plus teething and generally realising that whinging could be a good way to get attention. it didn't last too long though. i would say its definitely a phase - one which returns intermittently mind you, but its amazing how quickly us mums develop stamina for whingyness and effective ways of dealing with it. i doesn't do my head in half as much now, especially as shes grown older and i've been able to understand why. take heart, it will get better smile

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 25-Jun-11 21:21:58

ahahaha
dd2 is nearly 8mo, and has been like this for a fortnight.
i think it's teeth, frustration at her limited mobility (she has the world's slowest and most laboured commando crawl), separation anxiety, and slight lack of sleep due to 5am starts. all at once. and she's too big for a sling (24lb)
Bummer, n'est-ce pas?
The only thing that works for us is getting out - a nice walk in the buggy is a good distraction, or watching the hustle and bustle at toddler group.

Antidote Sat 25-Jun-11 21:30:43

I feel your pain. Ds (8mo) woke up one morning with his happiness all gone, and was a complete nightmare for about a week.

I think he was bored! He has since started cruising, and we have swallowed our pride and succumbed to the lure of noisy plastic tat.

He is now much more jolly, except when he falls on his arse (or face).

Do you have a local toy library or an nct list? Ours is brilliant for second-hand toys.

carpetcleaningwizard Sat 25-Jun-11 22:51:55

Thank you all - you could all be talking about my daughter. I was only saying tonight that I think it's frustration - can't move, can't eat in the way he wants, can't can't can't...

What sort of 'plastic tat' should I get? What sort of toys may be good for this phase? My husband was talking about something round that she can sit in but I've not got a clue xx

skybluepearl Sat 25-Jun-11 23:08:45

mine all had a personality change lasting 2 months due to teething. it will pass - hang in there.

prolificwillybreeder Mon 27-Jun-11 18:43:35

A good toy I found at this age was a truck from Early Learning- doesn't look too boyish btw. It has a rotating box and three balls go round and round. Plays a song whilst doing so. You can also press the other setting and it moves.
It encouraged ds' crawling because he wanted to follow it and he sat still to pick the balls up from it.
Just an idea, I'll post a link if you are interested.
I feel your pain, DS was a nightmare at that age!

Octaviapink Mon 27-Jun-11 19:01:01

My DS absolutely loves his jumping thing - it holds him upright which he loves (he roars if you put him on his back) and he can fling himself around and have the illusion of independent movement!

bessie26 Mon 27-Jun-11 19:15:57

If you think it might be teething have you tried giving some Calpol? DD1 was everso grizzly with her teeth, but a dose of the pink stuff usually cheered her up!

Pussinflatboots Mon 27-Jun-11 19:18:23

Dd of 20 weeks has been exactly like your daughter today, op.
Aaaagh.
She hates her sling, and at almost 20lb, so do I! Dh has the pleasure of putting her to bed tonight smile.

SofiaAmes Mon 27-Jun-11 19:23:44

My dd went through a stage of this. Coincidently I brought her in to GP for regular check and was given an earful because turned out she had an ear infection and 101 fever. Ds never did low fevers and always was boiling hot to the touch when he did have one (generally 104/105), so it never even occurred to me to take dd's temp. An antibiotic and some ibuprofen cleared up the ear infection, fever, pain and resulted in the end of the constant crying.

Amy72 Mon 27-Jun-11 19:26:22

It really sounds like my DS with his first teeth. I read that when they lie down the pain is more intense which is definitely how dh was, he just wanted to be upright and held.

Good news is that it passes quite quickly.

carpetcleaningwizard Mon 27-Jun-11 21:20:25

Thanks all - really good to know I'm not flying solo with the only personality shifting baby. Hard to say if she's been any better these past few days...we've moved house so I'm sure she's feeling unsettled...and she has had a lot of grandparent adoration so she's been well entertained...but she is crying a lot more and she really is NOT a crier and definitely when lying down.

I'm not sure it's entirely teething but it definitely is in part.

Prolificwillybreeder (hahaha great name!) - I would love the link to that truck please.

Thank all of you for bothering to reply.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 27-Jun-11 21:40:28

Neurofen

prolificwillybreeder Tue 28-Jun-11 11:22:09

Here we go OP
Sorry can't write much of a reply DS is attacking me with an Elmer book.
crawl and go truck £15 but I always find a discount code online

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now