Talk

Advanced search

DS, nearly 5, weeing all the time!

(8 Posts)
octonaughty Fri 24-Jun-11 23:34:11

My DS1 is weeing all the time, I mean all the time! We've just been on holiday to North Wales, and spent the whole time taking him to the toilet. Can easily be 4 - 6 times per hour! (though can have periods where he won't go for an hour or so) He can't wait for long, and gets upset and agitated, but when he does go it's usually the tiniest dribble as he's usually done a big wee and there's clearly nothing there to wee out. He has had a tiny infection - just soreness and redness - on the end of his penis, which I suppose has to be linked as is too much to be a coincidence but it still doesn't add up. That's what the GP said it was, and also implied that it could be behavioural, but I'm not 100% convinced.

1) He started the weeing at least a week to ten days before the painful penis, and it's not really bothering him anymore, has been much better for a few days now, so why would it be that? Also, he was tested and does not have a urine infection.

2) Behavioural - why would he be doing this? He's not getting any extra attention from it, as just takes himself off to the loo at home, we're only involved when we're out, and even then only if it's in a town or whatever, he sorts himself out in the fields or beach. He was potty trained v easily at 2.5 yrs and has never had any accidents or anything since.

I'm just wondering if anyone's ever had any experience of this, as it's driving his dad and I up the wall and I don't know how he's going to cope at Pre-school. I'm going to have to take him back to the doctor about it next week (it's been going on for at least 3 weeks, if not four), but I have a feeling I'm going to draw a blank!
Thanks for any help!

Kayteee Fri 24-Jun-11 23:59:46

Get him tested for diabetes. It's just a urine test so not a big deal for your ds.
This sprang to mind because our ds had similar problem a few years ago and my friend, who is diabetic, told me that this can be a sign. It turned out he wasn't but had a urinary tract infection. Thought I'd let you know so you could rule it out smile

octonaughty Sat 25-Jun-11 13:01:40

Thanks for that, it has crosssed my mind and I did ask the doctor who said it was incredibly unlikely, but I'm definitely going to ask him again, he doesn't seem to have anything more plausible than that! Thank you.

Mine has spells of this, particularly in unfamiliar places. I tend to think of it as being like a dog marking territory.

Kayteee Tue 28-Jun-11 23:26:18

I would not be happy with a gp who said that diabetes was 'incredibly unlikely'!!

Good luck and hope it turns out to be negative smile

munchausens Wed 29-Jun-11 22:52:34

Very easy to suggest behavioural and far more likely to be medical in my opinion if there are no other behavioural concerns or trauma. Wetting like this can be linked to feacal impaction but sounds more like it will be linked to infection. Can you try a different GP?

lollystix Thu 30-Jun-11 22:01:15

My mum said the other day my brother has this about 6. He needed circumcising and that sorted it out apparently.

timmyinatizzy Thu 30-Jun-11 22:32:27

My DS aged 3 went through this recently. He had the red tip. Turned out to be balanitis. A swab usually picks this up with antibiotics to help clear it up. We were also prescribed a cream too which clears it up quickly. My DS seems prone to it as he still wears nappies at night. He had it at twice since February sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now