Talk

Advanced search

Thumb sucking

(4 Posts)
Smallstuff Fri 24-Jun-11 20:54:06

Would appreciate some views on this. DD is 4 in July and starts school in September. She has sucked her thumb since babyhood.
We recently found out that she has some slight hearing issues and her speech, whilst not awful, is below her peers and we have been referred to SALT.
When we last went to the dentist he said I needed to break her thumb habit as she was effecting her teeth quite badly and developing an overbite.
So I have tried to encourage her to stop in the day but I think it is actually getting worse ie she sucks more now than before.
She does it when bored, upset, tired, but also just generally when wandering around.
I tried a sticker chart last week and it really helped but this week she is disinterested in it even though we have a prize she has not yet won..
Someone said in the playground yesterday that they thought I should just back off but all the experts keep telling me to get her to stop...
I really don't want her to have to wear a thumb guard or the like but I am running out of ideas
Anynideas?

MadYoungCatLady Fri 24-Jun-11 22:13:45

I'm not doubting experts but just thought I'd say I still suck my thumb in my late twenties and have done since I was 6 and gave up my dummy. Have a slight overbite I guess but I'm fine!

OveranxiousUnderated Fri 24-Jun-11 22:55:48

Same as AP ^ I too still suck my thumb in my early twenties and have done since I was a tiny baby. I suppose I have a slight overbite too but never had to have braces or anything. My Mum tried desperately to get me to give up but I just couldn't stop (and still can't). Don't know what to suggest, but thought I'd offer my experience...I'm fine! smile

skybluepearl Sat 25-Jun-11 00:00:57

i'm using stop and grow on my boys thumb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now