Talk

Advanced search

5.5mo constantly taking dummy out and crying for it back

(13 Posts)
Timeoutofmind Fri 24-Jun-11 15:33:38

She has been doing this for 2 months now. I had got around it by swaddling but she now breaks free of the swaddle.

So now that I don't swaddle her and she's constantly playing with her dummy (she can put it back in herself sometimes but just takes it out again anyway) she is just not sleeping.

We had got into a good routine with naps but now its a struggle to get her down for 40mins. Also she wakes about 10 times per night crying out cos she can't keep her hands off the dummy.

I am scared of taking the dummy off her though because that was the only thing that got her napping after 3months of trying everything else!!

But what can I do!!?

fatandknackered Fri 24-Jun-11 15:39:01

We resorted to one of those dummy clip things with DS2 - this means the dummy is attached via stringy thing to the baby's clothing - in our case it meant he could always find the dummy again himself. This saved us going through 3 times a night to find the dummy he'd chucked on the floor earlier on.

Either that or you go cold turkey and take the dummy away... admit we didn't do this until DS2 was 18 months!

Timeoutofmind Fri 24-Jun-11 15:44:07

Yeah I have one of those dummy clips but she rolls about a lot so was worried she might get tangled in it, but its worth a try!

shipsladyg Tue 28-Jun-11 22:03:23

Our LO at 6-7 months was using the dummy to keep herself awake & thus us in the room. She'd take it out & pull on the teat with her teeth & then throw it around it it didn't get a response. So we stopped the dummy there and then. After two nights with brief whinges because we wouldnt go in, she self settled without an issue. Better to ditch the dummy then when they can't remember it than battle with a two year old over one.

JezzaJ9 Fri 01-Jul-11 17:03:23

We were okay with my DS and the dummy but my sister resorted to giving her DS his thumb and it seemed to work.

BeeBopBunny Fri 01-Jul-11 18:21:38

My DD did this - it was just a phase, it passed. We endured it until she could find the dummy and put it back in or nod off without it.

Timeoutofmind Fri 01-Jul-11 19:02:41

Well I'm just kind of enduring at the moment and hoping it passes!! If we're still in the same boat in a months time I will seriously consider ditching it though!

happygilmore Fri 01-Jul-11 20:49:51

We had to go cold turkey as DD couldn't put it back in herself, and was up at one point every 15 mins or so. Nightmare. We gave her a comforter instead, and it was actually fine - only took one night of cuddling to get her used to it. She is now more attached to the comforter than anything else (parents included) I think...

Timeoutofmind Fri 01-Jul-11 21:14:50

Yes happygilmore I think our DD loves her dummy more than us! Must be why she can't keep her hands off it! smile

Why not try putting 3 or 4 dummies in her cot? We did this with DS and will do the same with DD in the next couple of months. It is a pain at first because obv they will all need washed/sterilised in the morning but you will get some sleep. Also, try rolled up towels at cot bars - might just be high enough to stop her chucking dummy out? smile

Timeoutofmind Sat 02-Jul-11 07:29:25

FFSallthegoodnamesaretaken yes we do put 3 dummies in her cot. She is getting better at putting it in now, but often she's got her eyes closed when she cries out and she doesn't even try looking for it!

seeker Sat 02-Jul-11 07:30:40

Are you absolutely sure she's not hungry?

Timeoutofmind Sat 02-Jul-11 15:57:40

I don't think so seeker cos she does it everytime she goes down for a sleep regardless of whether she's been fed or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now