Talk

Advanced search

is 16 months late to start walking?

(33 Posts)
cheeryface Thu 23-Jun-11 23:23:43

do you think ?

ds2 is being assessed at the moment and i was asked if he was a late walker.

would 16 months be considered unusually late ?

EightiesChick Thu 23-Jun-11 23:24:48

I think I was told between 12-18 months was average, so on that basis I'd say 'average' if asked. DS walked at 15 months.

RosieMapleLeaf Thu 23-Jun-11 23:24:56

My DS1 started walking at 15 months. I have never been told that it was particularly late, the timelines I was given always mentioned 18 months as the time to start worrying.

puffling Thu 23-Jun-11 23:25:17

It is late but not rare (I think). DD didn't walk till later. It was either 17 or 19 months.

lucamom Thu 23-Jun-11 23:28:56

Both my boys walked at the 16 month stage. I was paranoid my first wouldn't ever walk, and a bit more relaxed second time around!

Mummyloveskisses Fri 24-Jun-11 00:03:52

16 months is VERY average smile honestly, if your child hasn't walked by 18 months THEN you are advised to seek help.

BeeBopBunny Fri 24-Jun-11 09:32:49

My DD started walking at 16mo. And it came out of nowhere - your DS might just get up and walk tomorrow. Is he pulling himself up?

Amy72 Fri 24-Jun-11 13:14:52

Hi my DS is 15 1/2 months, he scoots about on his bottom but shows no sign of walking yet. I do really understand how worrying it is but try not to. I tell myself that they are all just different and in a years time we will be wishing they would stay still.

Neverlandpirate Fri 24-Jun-11 13:18:17

My dd didn't walk until 17 months and before that she just sat on her bum....she didn't even crawl!hmm

She just got on her feet one day to get a toy and that was that.. She hasn't sat down since grin

ragged Fri 24-Jun-11 13:36:40

16months later than average but not unusual. Later than 18 months is unusual (but even that late is still unlikely to mean a problem).

sprinkles77 Fri 24-Jun-11 13:38:25

I and my brother didn't walk till aged 23 months. Didn't even crawl or cruise until a couple of weeks before that. Wouldn't worry yet, my DS is nearly 16 months and not walking either, not expecting him to for a while, and was surprised when he started to crawl!

RachelHRD Fri 24-Jun-11 13:49:21

Noooo!! My DS didn't walk until 15/16 months and my DD who is 16 months and 13 days finally pulled herself up to standing yesterday and has been taking steps holding my hands today.

They are all different so don't worry.

FunnysInTheGarden Fri 24-Jun-11 13:54:43

god, you are all so lucky. DS2 has been walking since he was 9 months! What I would give for a 16 month old to just sit there and not run around like a loony!

It sounds very normal BTW, DS1 was 14 months before he started walking properly.

Enjoy it while it lasts....

pinkypig Fri 24-Jun-11 14:49:36

DS1 walked 12 months. DS2 20 months. DD1 is 13 months showing no signs of walking yet. I would not be worried if I were you.

Catsycat Fri 24-Jun-11 14:55:52

DD1 walked at 12 months, DD2 just started 2 weeks ago at 17 1/2 months. It sounds perfectluy normal as everyone has said. I do think that DD2 has progressed a lot more quickly with her walking than DD1 did, not sure if this is because she is older and "catching up" or just a random thing.

reallytired Fri 24-Jun-11 20:38:49

lol... my son walked at 20 months. His chid physio said that "If a child sits by two then they will walk by four."

alana39 Fri 24-Jun-11 21:11:08

My DS3 isn't walking and he's just turned 19 months. DS2 was 20 months so not really bothered about it as he can stand for ages, walks with a walker occasionally (he's not very interested), walks on his knees.

Some children just walk late. I look at mine and think he probably could if he only tried but he just isn't interested.

DS2 just let go of the table one day and off he went.

OneHelluvaBroad Fri 24-Jun-11 21:13:38

My first child walked (ran!) at 10 months so I was really worried when my second shoed no signs of walking after her first birthday. She eventually took her first steps at 18 mths and was very steady on her feet within a days. Try not to worry. At 18 mths you can mention it to your GP and see what they say, but even then most HPs won't worry too much until closer to a child's second birthday.

reallytired Fri 24-Jun-11 22:05:46

Walking late has no relation to intelligence. My son at the age of nine is doing really well at school both socially academically inspite of being a late walker.

motherinferior Fri 24-Jun-11 22:07:31

DD1 sat on her pretty little tush till around 18 months.

She is now 10 and really rather good at walking. As well as reading and doing other non-walking-related things.

sungirltan Fri 24-Jun-11 22:12:16

dd walked at 18 months and bum shuffled until then. she is 21 months now. when the last of her pals walked at new year i got quite worried but she got up in her own time. i dont think 16 months is late at all.

chocjunkie Fri 24-Jun-11 23:47:06

we are under the dev paed for DD. she walked at 16 month and when taking DD's dev history, paed said he would not consider this late (though not early either). most of the children I know walked sometime between 14 and 18 month.

Adagoo Sat 25-Jun-11 13:55:43

My DS was 16 months.

My friend spoke to nursery as her DD was 18 months and not walking. They were shock to find she walked at nursery with other children, just didn't bother at home grin

Meglet Sat 25-Jun-11 14:00:21

My DS started at 15mo. He had friends the same age who took a couple of months or so longer to learn to do it and some who were on the go from 12 months.

adagoo That's brilliant. Typical small people behaving one way for adults and the other for their mums.

sungirltan Sat 25-Jun-11 18:39:12

they will walk when they are ready. dd has 4 friends all the same age. the first walker was at 9 months and dd was last at 18 - the rest were quite evenly spaced in the middle. however dd was the first talker and is ahaead of all the others with about 300 words now to thier about 50. the thing is they are all walking now and when they are together they all look the same, running about. they will all eventually talk the same too in about 6 -9 months i reckon.

they all get there in the end they just take their own routes.

if this helps at all i stoppeed panciking when i knew dd could stand on her feet, even for just a second because i figured if she ould support her own weight she could walk - as in she was at least physically able.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now