Talk

Advanced search

What age do you drop to only one nap?

(7 Posts)
emmyloo2 Thu 23-Jun-11 08:34:05

Hello, I have a 7 month old who has two naps. One at about 9.30am for usually around 2 hours and then a second in the afternoon (around 2pm) again for around 2 hours, sometimes less depending on how he feels. He goes to bed around 7.45pm and wakes anywhere between 6am and 7am. Usually we get him out of his cot at about 7am.

I have no idea how to shift him to one nap and when it is the right time to do so? I have read around 12 months is the right time. Do they then just have a nap in the middle of the day? This is my first so I am completely inexperienced at moving to the next stage of things......(don't get me started on solids!)

Thanks!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 23-Jun-11 08:39:59

nooo, don't change things.
he might well do it by himself
the reason that people sometimes suggest cutting naps is that some babies start waking in the night, or not settling for bed at a reasonable hour, or waking at the crack of dawn. he sounds like a fab sleeper. enjoy the peace while he has those lovely long naps envy.

emmyloo2 Thu 23-Jun-11 08:44:50

OK thanks Charlotte. I was planning on carrying on as is and seeing how it goes. HIs day sleeping can be hit and miss. Some days he has two good 2-3 hours sleeps and other days, only a few hours altogether. I am also guided by what my mother and MIL tell me about his sleeps because I work full-time and they look after him during the week. So unfortunately I don't get to enjoy the long naps (other than on the weekends)!

acatcalledbob Thu 23-Jun-11 08:52:30

My 2 DDs dropped to one nap at 18 months old (most of my friends' DC were about the same and all did it naturally). The morning nap gets later and later and eventually they start to nap around 11 or 11.30am and there is no need for the second nap as they wake around 2pm - bedtime gets earlier for a while too, or they end up asleep on the sofa at 6pm for a few weeks!

Each child is different though - DD1 reached 2 years old and hasn't napped since - DD2 is nearly 3 and still napping nearly 2 hours a day (thank God!)

MovingAndScared Thu 23-Jun-11 10:31:38

my DS1 was about 15 months or so
DS2 is 16 months and still having 2 naps but I think I will have to shift it soon - ie keep him up until lunchtime -
you might find that he doesn't go down for his 2nd nap at some point - the thing is to give him a shorter 1st nap and then cut it out - some children drop the pm nap and that is a pain as they are so shattered really early

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 23-Jun-11 10:35:48

DS is 18 months and just about ready for one nap now. Assuming he's had a decent night's sleep, he'll normally be ready for a sleep at about 11.30. Unfortunately, we have to pick dd up from pre school at 12 so its still all a bit hit and miss. I'm hoping by the time she breaks up, he'll be able to go until 12.30 ish so I can get lunch into him first and then he'll sleep for a couple of hours.

From memory, dd was much younger. She was about 13 months when she went down to one long sleep in the day.

kenobi Thu 23-Jun-11 12:07:52

Same here, it took about 6 weeks or so from about 14 months.
I think 7 months is pretty young to drop to one nap, they still need like 14-16 hours sleep a day or something at that age. DD did it organically - she shifted the morning nap back later and later by getting tired later and later, and I shortened the afternoon nap so she didn't end up being too awake at bedtime. Then she dropped it altogether, unless she got up at 4-5am as she does sometimes!
she's now 19mo and goes about 5-6 hours between sleeps, so in theory your little one can probably go no more than 2-3 hours between sleeps (tho obviously not an exact science)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now