Talk

Advanced search

newborn wind/farts

(6 Posts)
BPrincess Wed 22-Jun-11 13:25:22

my little girl is 3 wks old and seems to be getting more and more unsettled. She's v good really, sleeps, feeds (ff), poos etc but she's pulling lots of faces when asleep and flailing and bringing legs up to her chest, and starting to fart quite a bit. Not worrying in itself but I feel for her as she's clearly not comfortable. And waking herself up more often too.

Any good tips? We started infacol a couple of days ago but not sure it helps.

At what point do their digestive systems become better able to cope?

Thanks

SharkSkinThing Wed 22-Jun-11 13:29:31

Congratulations!

Are you winding her after feeding? Just gently burping her over your shoulder?

BPrincess Wed 22-Jun-11 17:03:25

Thank you!

Yes, we're doing that - on the shoulder or leaning her forwards on my knee. She seems to be getting a fair bit of wind up that way, but it still affects her later, too.

Anyone?

capecath Wed 22-Jun-11 20:14:29

Our DS (now 10 months) did that too, the most foul smells ever! He was prem though so may have been an immature digestive system. Health visitor suggested it may have been his iron supplements (due to being prem). I can't even remember when he grew out of them but he did.. I think within the first couple months. He still throws up milk quite a bit though, may be reflux. Sorry I don't have any tips to help... She will grow out of it though! If she is getting formula, perhaps try a different formula? I believe newborns can sleep well initially then become more unsettled as they get a little older - may not necessarily be waking due to discomfort (just a thought)?

capecath Wed 22-Jun-11 22:03:00

I was just thinking about this and not sure if you have tried swaddling - we found this really helped DS sleep for longer periods when he was newborn. The flailing could be the startle reflex which is a common cause of waking for newborns??

MrsJamin Thu 23-Jun-11 07:12:10

DS2 never needed winding, just did lots of farting! We helped him by pushing his thighs up and lots came out, then he went back to sleep like a dream!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now