Talk

Advanced search

two week old issue- advice needed

(14 Posts)
julantal Tue 21-Jun-11 14:29:38

my two week old is doing very well with adapting to three hour eating schedule during the day-- we are on the 7 am to 7pm program (he eats every three hrs approx with ease and some gentle proding within the 7a to 7p timeframe)

HOWEVER-- once we get to 7pm-- i place him down in his cot with the hopes that he will last until 10 or 1030 pm-- however i have noticed in the last three nights he is waking upset and crying at 830pm-- only an hour and 1/2 since he last fed--- what would YOU do? i have fed him naturally-- but then last night-- it was the marathon cry fest every hour on the hour from 830 to 930 pm to 10 30pm then to 1130 pm-- i was out of sorts and had no idea what to do-- he has this dramatic open mouth posture everytime i picked him up -- but i dont want to get into the "grazing" behavior especially at this time-- HELP-- this is the part i HATE-- i have 2 other little ones and i feel like i forgot it ALL......

Heck this the only time at night i have to relax and recoop from the hectic day with three little ones-- and to see my hubby-- help help help

MovingAndScared Tue 21-Jun-11 14:42:34

You are BF right - just wanted to check -
there is often a growth spurt at 2 weeks
I would feed more often in the day than every 3 hours - that might help -
and its really common to do this feed all evening things - I had it with my first and its a real pain

CocoPopsAddict Tue 21-Jun-11 14:43:07

You're breastfeeding, right?

I think that for most newborns, feeding every three hours is not enough. The less he gets in the day, the more he will want at night.

It is normal behaviour for a baby this age to want to spend long periods of time on the breast, and often.

julantal Tue 21-Jun-11 14:56:30

no- i'm not breast feeding- bottle feed-- i appreciate the feedback- keep it coming

julantal Tue 21-Jun-11 14:57:51

cant seem to keep him awake at the feed either-- he will take two oz and then fade out.

jaggythistle Tue 21-Jun-11 15:21:47

He does only have a tiny stomach, so might struggle with bigger volumes.

No idea about FF sorry, but agree more often than 3hrs might be necessary while he is so very tiny.

Madlizzy Tue 21-Jun-11 15:25:05

Could it be colic? Babies can often act as if they're hungry when they're colicky.

gapants Tue 21-Jun-11 15:34:19

just wanted to second what the others have said, his tummy is tiny like the size of a walnut, so you will probably have to feed more often at night. You could try cluster feeding from early eve onwards?

worldgonecrazy Tue 21-Jun-11 15:37:20

Does your routine allow for things like growth spurts? A baby may quite happily go 3, 4 or even several hours at night without feeding, but then a growth spurt will happen and they are back to every couple of hours. Growth spurts don't always mean physical growth either, brain development uses a lot of calories too.

MmeLindor. Tue 21-Jun-11 15:45:40

Agree with others, likely a growth spurt and he is just plain hungry if he is only feeding every three hours.

I would go with the flow, he is too young to be worrying about "grazing".

Newbabynewmum Tue 21-Jun-11 17:51:43

I FF and I found letting go of the "rules" and relaxing helped me and my DD a lot, often she only at 1.5/2floz but it doesn't matter. Some people might not agree but they are so so little feeding them when they want really is the best thing to do IMO. Oh, and the crying's normal. Don't worry about that. Just do what you can to comfort, walk, sing, feed etc. My DD liked listening to the kettle boil & the microwave run, no idea why!

And if you're worrying about routine & that's what you like I'd urge you to start a little later, or let you baby establish their own. My DD sorted herself out at about 4mo to 8floz in the morning, 8floz in the afternoon, 8floz to go to bed and 8floz at night. (she drinks a lot, she's quite big!!)

Good luck, and relax. You're doing great x

Cheeseandbiscuits Tue 21-Jun-11 19:18:54

Sounds like a growth spurt to me, I'd try feeding him! Keep thinking..this too will pass (great advice I had on here)...I didn;t believe it but its true!

harecare Tue 21-Jun-11 19:21:13

I don't know how it works with a bottle, but both DDs would feed constantly from about 7 - 10. Perfect excuse to sit and watch tv!

julantal Tue 21-Jun-11 21:16:47

thanks -- i really appreciate it-- he sleeps like a dream during the day-- if only he would have the same reaction at that 7-10 feed-- ohh well you all are correct-- this too shal pass- i know b/c i do have two littel ones-- but i just wanted to hear that pep talk--- appreciate it all.... i guess my hubby time will have to wait a bit as well!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now