Talk

Advanced search

4 day old - not poo'd in 24 hours

(12 Posts)
PinkWidget Tue 21-Jun-11 11:24:19

Is this 'normal'?

She's eating well (BF every 2-3 hours for anything between 15-30 minutes).

For the first couple of days, until yesterday morning, she didn't really have an appetite, would go 12 hours without eating.

She was pooing fine 2-3 dirty nappies a day + wet ones. Now she is just doing wet ones. Plenty of passing wind going on, just no poo!!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 21-Jun-11 11:26:58

Yes... some small babies can go several days, apparently!

PinkWidget Tue 21-Jun-11 11:50:13

Thanks GTN, thats put my mind at rest a little smile

GrimmaTheNome Tue 21-Jun-11 11:51:43

Do mention to your HV too, so she can reassure you too.

PinkWidget Tue 21-Jun-11 11:56:28

Will do, going to see the MW tomorrow so will talk to them then, if i become more concerned in the mean time i will give them a call.

Thanks again smile

Woodlands Tue 21-Jun-11 13:58:43

My DS was an infrequent pooer right from the time he'd cleared the meconium out of his system. They tell you babies should poo a couple of times a day for the first couple of weeks, so we were worried when he hadn't pooed for 2-3 days at a week old. However everyone we spoke to - maternity department, MW, etc, all said it was fine and not to worry, and it was.

Hope she poos for you soon!

Congratulations on the new baby as well!

MollysChamber Tue 21-Jun-11 14:05:34

Combination of poo changing from meconium to, well, poo and your milk changing from colostrum to milk proper I would think. Normal for BF babies to go without pooing for up to 10 days. (DD3 did this at about 8 weeks - was convinced there was something terribly wrong. There wasn't).

Speak to health visitor for reassurance.

Congratulations!

RitaMorgan Tue 21-Jun-11 14:07:51

It's probably fine but worth keeping an eye on. In older babies it's very normal to go days without a poo, but it's more unusual in a newborn and can indicate they're not getting enough milk.

BikeRunSki Tue 21-Jun-11 14:10:52

Normal.
My HV's local record is 11 days.

MovingAndScared Tue 21-Jun-11 14:13:51

Hmm - if baby was older I wouldn't worry at all - however very young - what colour where her poos?
And actually that isn't all that frequent feeding for a new born - I expect she will be weighed tomorrow so you will see how that is going - some loss is normal of course
and I would try lots of skin to skin maybe to increase feeding a bit - and its nice!

DeWe Tue 21-Jun-11 14:32:04

Dd2 was consistantly once a week . Those were explosive nappies!

PinkWidget Tue 21-Jun-11 21:06:38

Thanks all for your responses smile

She has indeed poo'd today, moved onto the yellow stuff!!

She has also increased her demand today, think the milks come in as she also sicks up a lot more after being fed.

11 days!!!! I would still be worried, even if i was told all was ok shock

Will definitely still mention to the MW tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now