Talk

Advanced search

How to stop 21 month olds bottles?

(8 Posts)
AussieGirl78 Tue 21-Jun-11 07:53:23

My 21 month old still has a very small amount of milk in a bottle when he has his nap and at bedtime
I've tried him with cups but he's not interested and it feels cruel as we have a 10 month old as well so obviously he sees the baby with the bottle too

Any ideas/tips gratefully accepted!

Tee2072 Tue 21-Jun-11 07:54:13

Why do you need to? My 2 year old still has his first thing in the morning and his last thing at night milk in a bottle.

Who says your 21 month old needs to stop?

AussieGirl78 Tue 21-Jun-11 10:16:46

I thought it was strongly advised that they shouldn't have bottles after one?

Tee2072 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:35:25

Strongly advised maybe. End of the world if they do?

All advice is just that, advice. If you don't want to follow it, don't. I don't.

greenshoot19 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:56:55

I'm interested in this too - anyone know why it is strongly advised to not use a bottle after specifically aged 1? Does it really matter? My 1 yo loves her bottles of milk and I'm not sure is this changing any time soon!

Tee2072 Tue 21-Jun-11 12:23:51

There have been some studies that show it is bad for teeth.

I asked my dentist and he said it's not great but for baby teeth don't worry about it if the child needs it.

Mobly Tue 21-Jun-11 13:45:10

It is a teeth thing- milk left on front of teeth when child is asleep will rot teeth over time.

Best thing to do is allow the milk but always wipe their teeth with a cloth/toothbrush and a bit of toothpaste to get the milk off if they have fallen asleep.

I never did this and DS1 has what looks like weak enamel on those teeth now, though good dental hygeine has stopped any cavities forming.

Google Baby bottle tooth decay- don't want to frighten you but it's best to be informed.

greenshoot19 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:47:03

Thanks, agreed, def best to be informed smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now