Talk

Advanced search

1 yo drinks from a mug

(25 Posts)
greenshoot19 Mon 20-Jun-11 12:25:29

Hello! My 1yo DD really hates any kind of beaker and only takes milk from her bottle (she sees the colour of the liquid in it and if it aint white she aint interested). So my wonderful PIL tried just giving her some water from a proper mug the other day, and she seemed to take it great. Anyone else had this? Should I just bypass the beaker stage d'ya reckon?? (She bypassed the pureed food stage after all and went straight to chunks). Or maybe she'll learn to like a beaker eventually? This would be a little less messy! Thoughts please smile

Madlizzy Mon 20-Jun-11 12:28:03

You could try a doidy cup. here

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 20-Jun-11 12:29:05

I can't see why not, garish plastic beakers aren't compulsory. She's obviously more sophisticated than that! I would get one of those melamine ones though and steer her away from your best bone china but otherwise fine. smile

DeWe Mon 20-Jun-11 12:33:09

Never used a bottle, and only really used beakers when going out, or in situations I didn't want them to get messy. A beaker is mostly for your benefit, as they're less messy when dropped, I started letting them have water to drink in the bath from a cup, by 9-10 months they were usually fine with one. I don't think we've even had a broken glass/cup from any. They were using straws from that age too, which is a great incentive for a child to drink.

greenshoot19 Mon 20-Jun-11 12:51:44

ha ha, GwendolineMaryLacey too right, she's getting the emergency mugs (i.e. DPs manchester united memorabilia mugs from 1990). Thanks good idea about the doidy and straw!

TheMitfordsMaid Mon 20-Jun-11 12:53:20

Can't see why you'd want her stop her using a proper cup, though?

hannahsaunt Mon 20-Jun-11 13:07:15

Our nursery only uses mugs - the little brown glass ones so not too heavy to lift - I hadn't thought of it until I saw it in action and was a great idea.

greenshoot19 Mon 20-Jun-11 13:11:14

TheMitfordsMaid only if anyone had any previous experience as to why it was a bad idea, liked chipped teeth or something!

Belljar71 Mon 20-Jun-11 13:52:51

DD2 used a mug/cup at 11 months.Never used a bottle and hated a sippy cup.She has quite a collection of little character mugs now,joy.hmmgrin

winnybella Mon 20-Jun-11 13:55:00

DD used a cup from about 10 months as well. I can see no downsides to it.

Ragwort Mon 20-Jun-11 13:59:20

Surely its much better to use a proper cup/mug (bone china grin) - personally I am quiite judgey about children over a year using bottles/beaker type cups (SN excepted of course - or if you are in a situation where it is essential to avoid a mess).

greenshoot19 Mon 20-Jun-11 14:24:21

thanks for the affirmation everyone!

Octaviapink Mon 20-Jun-11 19:13:14

DD never had bottles - we started on an open cup when I weaned her at six months and she was managing it by herself quite happily by about 11 months. I get judgey about children using bottles at an advanced age (over 1) as well!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 20-Jun-11 21:02:05

we too have only ever used an open cup and ds became adept at drinking out of it without spills by about one (that didn't stop him tipping the contents out so only put a bit in!). We used a doidy but wouldn't bother again, an enamel camping cup is good, light and not breakable.
I was glad not to have to take a special bloody tt cup out everywhere too (a normal water bottle is fine, treat the opening like a tiny cup!) Far to much crap touted as essential whe comes to child rearing imo.

Firsttimer7259 Wed 22-Jun-11 08:12:20

So Ragwort and how do you know when there's SN an when to put your judgey pants on?

Bonsoir Wed 22-Jun-11 08:14:05

My DD never used either a bottle or a beaker. She was fully breastfed, other than when I went out and left her, when she drank formula from a little cup. She must have been about 6 months when she first did this.

Firsttimer7259 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:03:11

To follow on: do you have some amazing diagnostic tool that neither parents nor paediatricians have heard about? Hmm thought not.

Enjoy your child's development, celebrate their special skills; but please, please remember you have no idea why other children aren't developing on schedule. Chances are that your child's development has nothing to do with your parenting (amazing tho it undoubtedly is) and same goes for that parent with the slower child who has quite enough to worry about without all the sideways glances at playgroup. Ta v much also to ms Octaviapink

olivo Wed 22-Jun-11 11:25:18

my DD must be undevelopped - she still uses a beaker with a lid at 22mo sad

Firsttimer7259 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:04:17

Olivio - I dont mean this as the only indicator of developmental delays. Of course it isn't and I hope your DD is fine.
But I am fed up of people without a clue judging me because my daughter has developmental delays and hence couldn't drink from a beaker with lid let alone a cup at 1 year. And it's not just a question of giving her the opportunity to develop this skill. At 12 months she was still working on basic grasping. You cant tell if she has SN just by looking at this age.

Firsttimer7259 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:06:36

My 17 month old daughter has just managed the art of drinking from her beaker at 16.5 months. She's very proud of this achievement and I am delighted at this bit of progress. I don't need other people giving us funny looks cos she's still using a beaker and we haven't yet progressed to a cup.

greenshoot19 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:13:23

olivo please don't feel blue! every child is different, the best thing us mums can do is do our best and not compare ourselves and little 'uns to everyone else, as if our job isn't hard enough as it is! (when it comes to milk, no way my DD wants it from a beaker let alone a mug at the mo!). i don't think judgeyness is at all helpful or fair, we're all on the same side after all smile!

greenshoot19 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:17:01

well done Firsttimer's dd!!

Firsttimer7259 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:48:35

Thanks greenshoot.
(Gets off soapbox re judginess). And do be pleased, pleased, pleased with your little un's tea party skills. Its lovely when they can do new things!

olivo Wed 22-Jun-11 13:28:38

Firsttimer, don;t worry, you have not upset me. To my knowledge, the only deve delay DD has is a slight speech delay. However, her fine motor skills are above average for her age so i guess she'll sort herself out and even up at some stage!
my comment was more directed as those who 'get judgey' at over 1s using beakers and bottles. Thoughtless and tactless IMO.

sorry, in a grumpy mood today.

cornflakegirl Wed 22-Jun-11 14:23:06

My 22m DS regularly asks for drinks in an open cup, which I provide him with. Although only a tiny bit, because half the time he tips it straight down his front. So anything that I actually want him to drink is provided in an any-way-up beaker. I'm fairly sure he'll be okay with an open cup by the time he goes to school wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now